Premature Chicks Dying!

You can try feeding them a little electrolyte water via a dropper. when they become more willing to eat, you can feed them some raw egg yolk via a dropper as well...

You might want to brood them yourself. I was trying to nurse one weak hatch, but made the mistake of letting it stay with the broody for warmth. She rejected it 3 days later some time in the night when I was sleeping, and the weak chick was chilled to death :(

You can try feeding them a little electrolyte water via a dropper. when they become more willing to eat, you can feed them some raw egg yolk via a dropper as well...

You might want to brood them yourself. I was trying to nurse one weak hatch, but made the mistake of letting it stay with the broody for warmth. She rejected it 3 days later some time in the night when I was sleeping, and the weak chick was chilled to death :(
The second on is doing a lot better, but the first one is extremely weak, I do not believe she is going to make it. Her organs prolapsed out of her navel and busted all over her and the other premie. I brought the second one to the sink to wash her off and shes doing better and trying to walk around, but premie #1 is just a matter of time. Is there a humane way I can put her down without her suffering? theres zero chance she is going to be able to pull through.

I see people recommending sharp scissor or shears often... I’ve never done it myself though.
I did see that but I just couldn't stomach doing it, she ended up dying in the short time I went into the house to put the eggs in the basket and the time I came back. The other premie is doing pretty good though so far, so I'm hoping she'll be okay. she's walking as best as she can, but she is just sleeping a lot. her naval is already dried up though unlike the other one whos was exposed. I'm hoping she just needs a day to rest up we will see!! She is also the bigger of the premies so I feel like she has a better chance then the little one did.

Back
Top Bottom