Premature hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gvnam, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    I had 1 chick hatch perfectly fine, a little later one started cracking the shell and obviously died after about 2 hours. I slipped it out of the bator and decided to crack it open the rest of the way(the head and part of the body was visible) when I did this, I noticed guts still in the bottom of the egg. This again happened. What's wrong/going on!?!?

Edit: I have 27 more chicks all pipped and ready to hatch. THIS IS ONLY DAY 19. I will report all hatches here from now one with the breed that hatched (prematurely or on time).
    All shells are pipped and the chicks have begun to "break out". Why is this happening if they aren't even physically ready to!?????
    Production Red: Hatched
    Production Red: Premature Hatch (died during hatch; organs not inside chick)
    Cuckoo Maran Rooster x Production Red: Premature Hatch (died during hatch; organs not inside the body)

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I think what your seeing is the almost absorbed yolk not organs. The two major reasons for that is low temperature or too high humidity during incubation. As your hatch is early it's not low temperature so you should incubate at a lower humidity next time. Try 40%.

Early hatches are due to two major things. Small pullet eggs or bantam eggs and incubation temperature too high. You shouldn't hatch pullet eggs but if you do use those of good size, without being double yolkers. Next hatch use the same thermometer but adjust your temp a degree lower. That will put your hatch on day 21 instead of 19.

Good Luck

3. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Humidity was good and they were organs. I've skinned enough animals to know that ;)

I had two more great hatches! Healthy chicks!

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Then I guess it's just bad genetics if everything else was spot on.

5. GoldRidge

GoldRidge New Egg

Jul 31, 2012
    So you were actually both right. Prior to hatching, the yolk is sucked up into the body through the anus and becomes the nutrients the chick will live of of for the day or so it takes for the chick to become strong enough that the mother is able to teach it to forage. When the egg is hatched prematurely, this does not take place and the yolk which is an organ is still on the outside of the bird. I have experienced the same thing so if anyone has any tips on what to do to avoid this, I would appreciate it because I have lost each one that this has happened to.

6. Aprilso

Aprilso New Egg

May 24, 2013
    Any tips? 8/12 chicks hatched today. The other eggs are not pipped yet. Today is 21. All the other chicks are fine except for one is smaller, has an eye that looks like the lid is too small & has very small yolk sack attatched. It is very chirpy & the other chicks seem bothered by it. What should I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by