Premature Pip

Jeanieameraucana

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
How early can a chick pip and survive? I was turning my eggs today and noticed a hole
with yellow goo running out and thought, "Oh darn a bad egg blew up". I picked it up
getting ready to throw it out then I noticed a bill and a thick membrane and fresh blood.
The chick was flooded with fluids and barely moving. I put it back in the incubator with the bill
pointing upwards. Hours later the membrane dried up quite a bit and now the chick is chirping
a little. Now here is where things get weird. The hatch date is for the 21st. I thought
I must have got the date wrong on the calendar but checked the tracking number online
and the eggs were delivered at the end of last month. I have another set of eggs that are
suppose to hatch earlier but they are a different color, and all of the eggs are clearly marked
as well. The earlier set are marked bl, bl or L, the second and later hatching are W, Wh, or B. It's a W egg and I can
see that it has yellow down. If what I'm seeing can't possibly be happening then it must be some
kind of freaky mismarking by two different breeders shipped separately and maybe a splash chick hatching
just a day early. 7 days early just seems so unlikely to pip. It has not hatched but is looking better everytime I check. What
I want to know whether its and oddly and coincidently mismarked egg or is it possible to pip a week early and
is it possible for a chick to pip this early and live?

It's mis-marked. It's not hatching a week early.

Keep an eye on it. When there is blood and yellow goo, if the humidity is not high enough, it won't make it out

Good luck.

I know you have to right, but it looks like a white chick and that's what
the second bunches "W" stands for. My head hurts just thinking about it. ow.

Back
Top Bottom