Premier1 UltraScreen?

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
So I had major issues with keeping blowing snow out of the coop/run last winter. It would come in all the ventilation spaces, from all directions.

Building a new coop/run right now and planning ahead for winterizing. Thinking of using this on the larger ventilation areas to keep snow out without having to block openings entirely (so instead of putting a tarp over openings temporarily during a storm).

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/premier-ultra-screen

I would not be using this for blocking wind down low- this is just for keeping snow out without blocking ventilation.

Anyone use this successfully (for this purpose, or otherwise)?

so… no one has any experience with this? going to order something from premier today, trying to decide if this is something that could work.

Doesn't look like it.
I was curious too, so followed.
It would probably work fine, if used as shown on web page.
Might depends on where you are installing it.
Premiere has pretty good customer service.
Let us know how it works out.
Update: Got this installed this week on the N side of my coop. Was a rush job as temps went from 70 to 20 in less than 24 hours. I cut pieces appx 9”x36” to fit between each of the rafters. Stapled the pieces to scrap 2x2s that are a bit wider than the space between rafters, just in front of the 2nd purlin. So they hang between each rafter. One screw added to lower 2x2 to secure it to the siding.

Left side of photo is it being installed. Right opening not done yet (just HWC).

B3BAE197-21D4-4759-8864-A1425EEFA850.jpeg

Drafts inside the coop reduced dramatically (this side faces N), so I’m happy with this solution so far.

We got some rain/wind too, but it was overnight so I wasn’t able to watch how well it worked. The coop stayed dry, but I can’t attribute that to the Ultrascreen (yet) as I don’t know if the wind was blowing the rain hard enough in the right direction for it to have mattered. Could be it would have stayed dry without the Ultrascreen.

I’ve already put up some clear vinyl panels around the bottom 2/3 of the run. Sometime before our first winter storm, I’ll add Ultrascreen to the upper 1/3 of the run and will give it a real test against blowing snow and provide another update.

Vinyl panels are easily removable for days where it’s warm enough to want to air things out. Ultrascreen will stay on full-time for the winter, but be taken down in spring.

Product itself is really nice. Like window screen but the openings are smaller. Has a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn’t call it “stretchy.” Very easy to work with and make precise cuts. I cut it with my fabric rotary cutter without issue. Shipped rolled up, so no creases to deal with.

So I had major issues with keeping blowing snow out of the coop/run last winter. It would come in all the ventilation spaces, from all directions.

Building a new coop/run right now and planning ahead for winterizing. Thinking of using this on the larger ventilation areas to keep snow out without having to block openings entirely (so instead of putting a tarp over openings temporarily during a storm).

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/premier-ultra-screen

I would not be using this for blocking wind down low- this is just for keeping snow out without blocking ventilation.

Anyone use this successfully (for this purpose, or otherwise)?
Interesting, following and I’d love your feedback on wind protection. We don’t get snow, but we do get brisk winds in winter and vertical rain with monsoons. I’ve used shade cloth before with good results for rain, but it doesn’t block the wind well.

Air can still pass through, it’s just blunted. My cuts (or measurements more likely) were not super precise, so it doesn’t seal along the side of the rafters perfectly either, so some air can get in around the edges of the screen too.

My coop is open under the front rafters, similar to the back, just without HWC, because the attached run is very secure. I am not 100% sure I’d want to wrap all openings to the coop in this, but it is certainly doing some good on the N side for wind.

I also don’t think that I would wrap entire run for the winter without a way to open it up on nice days (hence my easily removable vinyl panels). Our weather fluctuates so much all winter - it’s 25 right now, but we’ll have some 60/70 degree days here and there all winter.

I have a camera in the coop, and before I added this stuff, on (warmer) really windy nights, I could see feathers ruffling around quite a bit. After adding this, I can still see some air movement in the molted feathers on the poop tray, but it’s very light.

Here’s a close up of what the Ultrascreen looks like. Pencil for scale.

74F55328-8540-44C9-8216-9EFCEEDEE7FD.jpeg

Another Update -

Finished adding ultrascreen on the east side of coop/run yesterday. It’s definitely making a difference in wind (and temps) in the run, without creating the greenhouse effect of just wrapping in clear tarps. Was windy and cold yesterday and sun was out, but inside the coop/run was very comfortable, but not stuffy.

It rained last week and wind blew some from south and east. East wind is not common so I hadn’t put up screen on that side yet. South side of run (had screen up) was definitely drier than the east side (which had vinyl about halfway up, and then just hardware cloth the rest of the way).

Ugly conditions in the forecast this week. 5-8” of snow with 35MPH winds and below zero temps expected Thu (but amt of snow predicted keeps changing, so who knows). Ultrascreen is in place on all sides of coop/run, so we’re going to get to see if it holds up to its promise. With this amount of snow and wind, paired with the negative temps, I’m considering covering the N side of the coop with something else though (like vinyl), just for duration of the storm, as I don’t want to be out there shoveling snow out of the coop in this weather- it’s supposed to stay super cold for a few days. Not as worried about the run if the Ultrascreen ends up disappointing me.

I’ll report back on how well it held up … and try to remember to take my phone out there with me to take pics when I’m out there checking on them. Assuming my phone and fingers (and brain) continue to function in these temps!

I ended up putting clear vinyl strips on the back ventilation gaps (on N side). I had one strip that was an inch or 2 short, so I used it on the far end of the coop where no one hangs out, just in case snow did blow in. And the snow DID blow into the coop on that one area (which means it blew in through the Ultrascreen). Not a ton of snow, but I'm glad I did not rely on just the Ultrascreen for the coop, as it would have snowed on the chickens overnight. The run got a bit of snow too, but I'm sure it would have been way worse without it.

Final verdict:
Great product for reducing wind, and probably some precipitation, but not enough to keep dry/powdery snow out of coop in strong winds. Works well enough for the run. I think it's good for 90% of the winter in my area, and by next week, I'll probably remove the vinyl strips on the N side of coop (and only put them up again if we get another storm like this one).

I don't think I'd do anything different for the next storm, other than replacing the one vinyl strip that was too short.

I ended up putting clear vinyl strips on the back ventilation gaps (on N side). I had one strip that was an inch or 2 short, so I used it on the far end of the coop where no one hangs out, just in case snow did blow in. And the snow DID blow into the coop on that one area (which means it blew in through the Ultrascreen). Not a ton of snow, but I'm glad I did not rely on just the Ultrascreen for the coop, as it would have snowed on the chickens overnight. The run got a bit of snow too, but I'm sure it would have been way worse without it.

Final verdict:
Great product for reducing wind, and probably some precipitation, but not enough to keep dry/powdery snow out of coop in strong winds. Works well enough for the run. I think it's good for 90% of the winter in my area, and by next week, I'll probably remove the vinyl strips on the N side of coop (and only put them up again if we get another storm like this one).

I don't think I'd do anything different for the next storm, other than replacing the one vinyl strip that was too short.
Thanks so much for the follow up!

Back
Top Bottom