Prep Table Recommendations?

father0fnine

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2016
So, I would like to get a little more organized in my meat bird processing. This year, I didn't need many birds from the hatchery but because of minimum orders, I have a lot more cornish X than before. So instead of doing the odd cull or extra roo, I'm going to have to have a chicken-butcher-day. One of the things I've seen in random videos is a stainless steel table with a whole in the middle (or one side) for dropping feathers and "stuff" through. The makeup of the table makes it great to handle a wet (scalded) bird and easy to wash down with the hose between steps in the process. Problem is, I don't know what to even search for in Google to find tables like this. I can find stainless steel tables but no hole. I can find counter tops with holes but they're way to nice for use in the yard.

So, that's the problem but as I sat down to type out my question, I realized that my fellow chicken wranglers might have other ideas as good or better so: does anyone know how to find or where to get a table like I described, and what do you use when it comes time to process the chickens?

D

Stainless steel is expensive. Especially with a sink attached to the table top. Unless your planning on selling your birds or are very attached to stainless steel over plastic, then I would go for a cheap fish cleaning table. They have sink, counter, hose hook ups and are made out of food grade plastic (most of the time). You have the space for one bird at a time, probably not more.

You could also contact restaurants that have closed down recently to see if they will sell you stainless.

I bought my whole butchering set up (minus the plucker) from a closing down diner. We have been doing 250/year with it, and we are moving to 600 birds per year this season. We bought two 8' stainless tables, stainless handwashing sink, and a 3 bay drink cooler for air chilling. For like 300 bucks I think, it was cheap, but we got lucky and stumbled across the restaurant right when they closed and they were eager to clear it out so they could stop paying rent.

I also suggest the plastic fish cleaning table. Look around at the stores you have locally and see what they charge. I got mine from Rural King, but places online have them too, and often times you can have them shipped to your local store if they carry them but don't stock them. I know Bass Pro and Cabela's sell them online for sure. I like using a pocket hose type with them, makes it easy to keep it all together without taking up as much space.

I have been considering the sinks I see all the time at Habitat for Humanity. Some old ones come with a drainboard & sink combined. I want to put it outside for washing chicken dishes & waterers, and for plucking. I use the kitchen stove to scald and pluck over a small trash can right now. In summer it would be nice to have one of those big propane burners out on the carport in the shade. Less little feathers to clean up in the kitchen.

I have been considering the sinks I see all the time at Habitat for Humanity. Some old ones come with a drainboard & sink combined. I want to put it outside for washing chicken dishes & waterers, and for plucking. I use the kitchen stove to scald and pluck over a small trash can right now. In summer it would be nice to have one of those big propane burners out on the carport in the shade. Less little feathers to clean up in the kitchen.
Wooh. I just imagined the fit my wife would have if I plucked even one bird in the kitchen. I will not being going back to that place in my mind lol.

I used a turkey fryer propane burner for a long time before I built my electric scalder. I still keep it in our butchery building because it always worked very well and I'm not willing to give it up as a back up in case electricity fails for some reason during one of our butchering days. Really, I only put up with the electric because it's cheaper. I would still be using propane if it weren't for high gas costs in my area and how difficult it is for me to get a tank filled.

I've used a folding table with a plastic top, and a bucket beside it to drop stuff into.
The plastic is not too difficult to wash, even though it has a little bit of texture.
And it doesn't cost a fortune to buy, either.

Back
Top Bottom