Prep Table Recommendations?

We process almost 200 every eight weeks. We use a plastic table, rinse when dirty, and a utility sink that we hook up with a water hose and a canopy to cover when the sun is shining. We do raise the table with two saw horses so it doesn’t strain any of our backs. Hope that helps.

Our process is:

From scalder to plucker to bin of cold water with water running.

Final detail plucking happens in bin of cold water, which rinses feathers away as they come off. Can be hard on backs sitting over a bin but dunking the bird under the water really shows any feathers that are left. When finished the bird goes in a large 55 gallon plastic barrel with cold water running.

After all birds are feather-less we transition to the indoor stainless 'harvest' kitchen sink. 10 ft long with two huge basins in the middle. here we do all eviscerating, cut feet, wing tips and tail off and sort organs into bowls with ice water. Then bird goes into aging fridge.

Sam's club has nice 13 quart stainless steel bowls for about $10. I love them for harvesting everything.

Its just the two of us (+12 yr old) and we can do about 16-18 from start to finish in a day.

@tribalacres Wow 200 every eight weeks! that's a production right there.

Last edited:
First we cut, then we scald, then pluck, finally gut. We had three huge trash cans. One was for the guts, one was filled with cold water to dunk the bird for a quick rinse, and the final one was full of water, ice, and salt where the birds soaked for four hours. The table was just a plastic fold out table. There were a couple of bowls full of water for rinsing tools, and those were changed out with fresh water a couple of times. Also a knife sharpener was available. I don’t know that I missed having a sink.

Attachments

• 55FC4A77-7390-4667-96CA-4EBBAF126CBD.jpeg
    55FC4A77-7390-4667-96CA-4EBBAF126CBD.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 8
  • E99E0546-B08C-4B99-AB0A-A2831EE313E1.jpeg
    E99E0546-B08C-4B99-AB0A-A2831EE313E1.jpeg
    717.9 KB · Views: 8
  • C8FB1A93-2444-4665-B554-C573468E7D8F.jpeg
    C8FB1A93-2444-4665-B554-C573468E7D8F.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 3D537A1D-D4DC-4E70-A9DD-7ACEADA51435.jpeg
    3D537A1D-D4DC-4E70-A9DD-7ACEADA51435.jpeg
    868.2 KB · Views: 9
First we cut, then we scald, then pluck, finally gut. We had three huge trash cans. One was for the guts, one was filled with cold water to dunk the bird for a quick rinse, and the final one was full of water, ice, and salt where the birds soaked for four hours. The table was just a plastic fold out table. There were a couple of bowls full of water for rinsing tools, and those were changed out with fresh water a couple of times. Also a knife sharpener was available. I don’t know that I missed having a sink.
I just thought having a garbage chute in the work area was a neat idea. I tend to miss the garbage when it's next to the table. Sink wouldn't be very practical for me. I live on dirt so, unless I plumbed the sink into to the septic system, the water would just make for mud under the table.

I just thought having a garbage chute in the work area was a neat idea. I tend to miss the garbage when it's next to the table. Sink wouldn't be very practical for me. I live on dirt so, unless I plumbed the sink into to the septic system, the water would just make for mud under the table.
It’s not going to be fun processing birds without running water.

That’s why the garbage is next to the table so you can sweep everything into the garbage. I’m not really sure how that is any different than a hole in the table that you’d sweep the trash into. Also no one that I know of plumbs their outdoor sink drain. It kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile sink. You either attach a drain hose to drain it outside of your yard or catch it all in a bucket. However I didn’t suggest using a sink. I only said that I didn’t miss having one, as in I functioned fine with just the table. I feel like you’re making a mountain out of a molehill.

Prep tables, explicitly sandwich prep tables, offer stockpiling and prep space for fixings that should be cut, cut, or in any case prepared before use. Administrators can utilize these units for menu things other than sandwiches, like burger fixings, pizza, salad, and pan fried food dishes.

Back
Top Bottom