Preparation H for prolapse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by idahoan, Mar 14, 2009.

1. idahoan

idahoan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    My favorite hen is a layer of very large eggs. I am surprised she had not prolapsed sooner. I got some Preparation H and a rubber glove, stuffed everything back in and swathed her with Preparation H.
    This morning everything was still inside of her. She seems to be feeling OK other than she is caged (semi dark) and pacing back and forth.[​IMG]
    If anyone knows how often to apply the Prep H or any other info. I would be very appreciative.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  2. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have no idea, but I"m interested in seeing a response too. So I thought I'd respond and bump your topic back up a bit.

I was just taking care of a wee-bit of a mite problem my girls have and was dusting their little vents when one of them looked like she was prolapsing. It looked terrible, but then resolved itself... but I'm ready for more info should it happen again!

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Prep H is amazing stuff. When I worked as a vet assistant we put it on pets that had road burns from being hit by cars. Once a day ought to do it. You don't want to put it on too thick. Sounds like it's working. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  4. idahoan

idahoan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Thanks Brit, I will take your advise.[​IMG]

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, I agree - - once did the trick for my hen. Do keep an eye on her, though, in case she has this problem again in the future.

Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by