Prepare to be a new chicken owner next spring

shealy09

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2016
Hello everyone! My family and I am getting ready to close on a house in rural Maine with 4 acres. I'm so excited to get some chickens. We would like to get chickens next spring. Can't wait to read threw all these amazing articles and information about chicken keeping.

Congratulations on your new home. Click on 'The Learning Center' at the top of the page, study the forums, question away, plan and you will be set next spring when you get your chicks.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you and your family :clap I hope your move goes well and good luck with your new chicken adventures. As sourland says the learning Center is a great place to drop by ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Lots of great articles there that will help you get ready for your new birds in the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC amd be sure to ask any questions that you may have :frow

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

IMO you have already started out the best way - study, plan and get your flock in the Spring is the best way to go.

Decide on why you want your own flock (eggs and fun is #1) and how many/what breeds do best in your climate and what source to obtain them.

If you want layers - try to get them either as sexed chicks or elect pullets. Otherwise make plans for possible roos-rehoming can be difficult.

** I would start with the babies - those early days are so much fun and an adventure not to miss**

Decide where to place your coop/run, check out the coop/run forums to see what fits for you.
Pay attention to the space they need - build bigger than the minimum. It is hard to increase their home after they move in :(

Feel free to post questions in the forums, you'll find a lot of helpful, friendly folks around here.

You are beginning a great adventure, enjoy it all.

Be sure to check out the coops section and the predator threads as well, so you will have a safe set up for chickens when you get them. Everything loves to eat chickens.

Back
Top Bottom