Preparing as a first time chicken owner.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jillybean88, Mar 31, 2016.

1. jillybean88

jillybean88 New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    Hello all!

After reading through a lot of random information here and other places on the web, I have decided it prudent to join BYC to get more first hand accounts!

First of all, my biggest problem is finding information pertaining to raising chickens at 10,000 feet in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. I have seen a couple people around the web speaking to higher elevation chicken raising, but I still have a LOT of questions!

I was raised mostly in cities and small towns, but we have many family members that own farms and ranches, so I grew up around chickens and roosters and other "farm" animals so to speak. In this respect I know a bit about chickens. Mostly just that roosters can be territorial and can run almost as fast as a child can. . . . :)

Cut to my early 20s and I moved in to what could have been considered a mini "hippy" commune where there were already 7 chickens. This furthered my understanding of them, but I was living at 5,000 ft in the Front Range of Colorado, much different than the 10,000 feet I am now at.

We already have 5 dogs, a cat and an African Grey parrot, so to say the least, I am very excited to expand the feathered side of our family.

I look forward to all the interactions that I will have here and thank you all in advance for the information, tips and tricks to raising chickens!

Have a shining day!

Jillian

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Jillian,

I suggest you chat with other members in CO on your state thread. Just type Colorado in the search box and that state thread should pop up.

Thanks for joining us!

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jillian and welcome to BYC. NFC has given you some good advice.

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Jillian, very nice to meet you. The folks on the Colorado thread should be able to answer your questions.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by