1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preparing for new chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spassehl, Feb 11, 2009.

1. spassehl

spassehl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Illinois
    I have a couple of questions.

!. I heard from someone today that you have to teach chicks how to drink. That sound strange to me.

2. My husband and are going to build a chicken tractor so the girls can graze. My question is, if we fertilized the grass last year and plan to raise our chicken organically do we need to test the soil?

Thanks, Sheila:)

2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Number 1 is easy. Just dip their little beaks in the waterer. I have no clue about Number 2

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Not sure if you need to test the soil, but the requirement might be more of a time lag before you can consider the area organic pasture.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    if you did not use organic fertilizer than yes maybe testing would be good. It is really up to you if you are going to sell your eggs and say that they only get organic feed that would be untrue, but if it is for your own consumption and you dont mind then you are fine. personally i would put down a few inches of fresh compost in the run area if it isnt too large this way whatever has seeped into the soil is under it.

5. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    It depends on whether you're looking to be certified organic or not. If you used a non-certified-organic fertilizer, you might have to wait 3 years. But if you want to raise your birds organically in the homestead sense -- I grow veggies "organically," but for instance I use non-certified-organic manure from a neighbor as fertilizer so I'm not technically "organic" -- I honestly doubt that the fertilizer will hurt the quality of your chickens or eggs.

Just my 2 cents... I'm all for organic sustainable farming.... but I think that the USDA organic guidelines are overrated! A lot of farms with lousy farming practices (soil erosion, lots of fertilizer runoff, really crowded containment situations) are certified organic; a lot of excellent, sustainable family farms aren't. Do what works for your situation I'd say.

And yeah, some people say you have to dip chicks' beaks in water to get them to drink. I've done it both ways (dipping and not dipping) and haven't noticed too much of a difference. Prolly more important to dip chicks that have been shipped, as they've been under more stress...

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have never had to do anything with my chicks except provide their feed and water. I lost one chick that wouldn't eat or drink no matter how had I tried, but all of the others have thrived. I have fertilized an area where I was putting one of my coops. I ran a sprinkler for days before I let them graze there. I have never had any adverse affects. I had wondered about it too. I'm about to relocate one of my coops. I did not put any fert down but have been watering the area so they will have some nice grass. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by