Preparing for winter.....

JennyGood

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Southwest Michigan
I live in michigan where our winters can get cold and I was wondering what to do to keep the heat on my coop this winter. During the day, I plan on having their door open and it seems to me, keeping the heat in would be difficult.
I can't really afford an automatic door till maybe next year, so they won't be an option.
Any ideas?

I would not heat the coop. The chickens will do fine. The most important is ventilation with no drafts. Heating can cause condensation in the coop and moisture and chickens is not a good combination. There is also chance of a fire when a chicken could knock over or disturb a heater. You could put a deflector up to keep the wind out if the door is open during the day. I plan to put plastic up on the west side of the run leaving a small space at the top for air.(my run has a roof) Keeping the water thawed is very important. I was thinking about this myself. I like low maintenance, so I have been tossing around ideas. I am going to see if a hog water tank with a heater and large stones in the drinking area would work. It would hold several gallons and could be reached by the chickens. I would place large stones in the drinker part to keep anyone from falling in and drowning. I am still looking into this. Having a heated 3 gallon waterer for 50 chickens is too much work!

If you have some good southern sun exposure, you can capture a lot of heat from the sun during the day. Find some old sliding glass door or used windows (48" or bigger). Nail a 2x4 over the pop door and lean the window up to create a little sunroom. Secure the window to the 2x4 so it won't slide down and squish the sunbathing beauties underneath it. (you can drill some holds in the frame of the window and put latches on so it can easily be removed). It will give them a snow free spot outside to scratch and sunbathe in. Snow won't blow in the pop door either if you make it big enough.

If you have some good southern sun exposure, you can capture a lot of heat from the sun during the day. Find some old sliding glass door or used windows (48" or bigger). Nail a 2x4 over the pop door and lean the window up to create a little sunroom. Secure the window to the 2x4 so it won't slide down and squish the sunbathing beauties underneath it. (you can drill some holds in the frame of the window and put latches on so it can easily be removed). It will give them a snow free spot outside to scratch and sunbathe in. Snow won't blow in the pop door either if you make it big enough.
Good idea!!

Back
Top Bottom