preparing for winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Noodlynoo, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Noodlynoo

Noodlynoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    I am thinking ahead for the winter and wondering if what I have is going to be ok during the colder months.

My 4 girls (Wyndottes) have quite an open run with a roof on one half and boarded up at one end. They also have access to a small building for night perching and egg laying, but not a lot of space for 'hanging around' in.

Will my open run be too cold for them during the winter or do I need to close it in a bit more? I am in the UK so dont get the harsh winters that many others have, but it can get down to -10 some years, though that is exceptional.

It worries me though that if I box it in more, it will then be too hot come the summer again!!

2. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    If the small building is enclosed, but also well ventilated, I think you will be fine. Is the one boarded side facing the windiest side in winter? Also, you can add heavy but clear plastic sheeting in a pinch. We add it every winter to the bottom meter of the coop as a wind and snow block. Hope this helps!

3. Noodlynoo

Noodlynoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    The small building is enclosed and cosy, but ventilated. The side that gets the worst of the winter weather is indeed the one boarded. I guess its a matter of "suck it and see" experiment for my first year!!!

4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I'm a bit north from you, facing a similar problem soon. I'm going to buy something resembling plexiglass and put that up around the run to keep snow out, and sort of make the run into a uninsulated coop for the winter.

@kittydoc This sounds horribly condescending towards Yanks, but props for your choice of units in your answer when replying to a person living in a metric world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by