Preparing Free-range Flock for Major Wind Chill

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
My son and I will be setting up so free-range flock has a protected feeding site near where they roost. The site will also shelter dogs, sheep and goats. My boy is going to learn how to read chickens and create microclimates that birds will retreat to as wind chill gets extreme. He will learn that slowing wind down is the first objective.

My son and I will be setting up so free-range flock has a protected feeding site near where they roost. The site will also shelter dogs, sheep and goats. My boy is going to learn how to read chickens and create microclimates that birds will retreat to as wind chill gets extreme. He will learn that slowing wind down is the first objective.

I would love to see photos of the process and the results.

Today things not working as planned. I assume because chickens were already in woods before weather hit.
E7230AAF-414A-4F82-B703-8D3599CEE96E.jpeg

This is where chickens are supposed be. Only one is present and he has been dead for a week. Dog placed him there for munching I guess.

Can you see chickens piled about?
38FB2DF4-45AD-4C39-9BB7-DD033A19167B.jpeg
9D866B6E-7258-4D98-BB89-87DF275125AE.jpeg
FDEAB10F-3143-40C7-AC3B-7AA658FA1489.jpeg
4E3EB767-67E8-45FF-9B9F-627181ACA514.jpeg

This hen was by herself although close to where dogs did there own pile. Birds are doing very little feeding. They are all about heat conservation. Most are in extremely good weight.

1CA5E31D-5343-4211-8C81-2C97845E85E6.jpeg

The "chickens in the woods" (pun) have moved very little even when son went made periodic checks on them. They have begun to forage in leaf litter although staying within the Buck Brush that really slows air flow at ground level. Where the birds are locating themselves is decidedly warmer than I experience walking in more exposed heights. As they return to roost, they will go past constructed cover patch where they will find complete feed and grain to fill crops for the night. Odds are tomorrow they either will not come off roost or will stop at constructed cover patch to loaf there all day,

Only about 2/3's of birds returned to area of roosts on their own. Balance scattered along way with two older American Dominiques still in woods at dark. We policed them up as best as we could although 3 young-of-year American Dominiques are not accounted for. Presumably those are roosting under dog kennel / feed shed which is likely the warmest place of all. I will go back out later with a flashlight to check everyone. Rapid weather change like this disrupts normal behaviors a lot.

When I picked up birds for transport most felt like they were experiencing tetany. I think they are in the adaption phase that takes about 2 days were mine simply go off feed. After that they will fly a lot more and resume eating. They also feel normal when handled then.

Current temperature is -3 F and expected to bottom out around -7. Sustained wind is about 16 although gust are at least twice that. It's been a while since I have dealt with temperate below 10 F so will go out a few times to check and see how everyone is responding.

I have frequently noticed that in sudden very cold (we were -28) mine nearly quit eating. I always rather smile, when people go on about food. Not that mine don't have food available - they just don't eat much. Then later in the winter, they will be back to normal eating in the same temperature.

Wind protection and ventilation. Mine did stay pretty much inside the coop all day, but look good.
I do take them water once a day - What are you doing for water?

Mrs K

I have frequently noticed that in sudden very cold (we were -28) mine nearly quit eating. I always rather smile, when people go on about food. Not that mine don't have food available - they just don't eat much. Then later in the winter, they will be back to normal eating in the same temperature.

Wind protection and ventilation. Mine did stay pretty much inside the coop all day, but look good.
I do take them water once a day - What are you doing for water?

Mrs K
They had water until about 0800 when temperature began to plummet. The free-range chickens have been consuming very little water of late contrasting with sheep and goats foraging the same area. The chickens likely had a lot of incidental intake consuming scratched greens and bugs. Tomorrow morning water will be put out for a bit. The birds are not in production so water demand is lower than if in lay.

I cannot account for three birds. A couple roosting in barn moved to ground with one hunkered down with one of the dogs in a pen.

Both nighttime free-range dogs ARE using the constructed cover patch in which to sleep. Darn sheep and goats went to barn where they could annoy me to the max.

Back
Top Bottom