1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preparing my garden!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by E.M. Silkies, Dec 29, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm SUPER excited about getting my garden ready. I can hardly sit still--or stay inside. Anyone elso going to have a garden? Would love to hear ideas!

2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

not good for me to have spring fever in DECEMBER! One of my goals this year is to take a master gardeners course through our local extension service and buy some acerage somewhere in the sun so I can have a decent garden. My current yard is so shady (in fact the whole neighborhood is shady) that my gardens have been in various containers that I can put in the few sunny spots we have..BUT I always manage to have a few tomatos, strawberries, bluberries, figs, peppers and HERBS! I love herbs.. I have tons of rosemary year round and basil, sage, oregeno,thyme, cilantro and parsley during the growing season.. would love to do more and bigger! sigh....

3. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Oh my hubby calls me crazy I h ae tomatoes and papers and many other negs in my greenhouse. One of the BYC members wanted to take a masters gardener class, I recommend I. Even though I live on a farm/ranch combo the course has to many things.

4. E.M. Silkies

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    I know, Spring fever in December is killing me! We have about 8 acres so I've got plenty room to have a nice garden but it's covered in brush and scrubs. I'm starting now so I can clean it while its dead and dry. A master gardener class sounds awesome! I would love to do something like that. I've decided to plant a lot more than I did last year. Most of my things last year were also in containers--not nearly as fun as having acreage to work with!

5. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Living in N. Fl. it's possible to keep a garden year round...It's just a matter of planting the right thing, at the right time.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I need to get my front garden prepared this week. I have had my back garden at least partially planted for almost two months. The front one needs a little work but I will hopefully be putting in a bunch of lettuce, spinach, and other such things.

Good luck with yours!

ETA: If you haven't been to The Easy Garden, be sure to check it out! You can find a link to it and BYC's other sister sites at the bottom of the page.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  7. E.M. Silkies

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:I didn't even realize that BYC had any sister sites. Woohoo! I'm in central Ga so I'll be able to get started soon. Right now I'm just getting everything organized and planned out.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Only things I am doing are spreading chicken poo all over the yard,and planning where to put more trees and shrubs.Waiting for our local soil and water to post what plants they will be selling this spring.All my seed catalogs are to pricey,so I won't buy much online this year.

Front yard I have to finish digging up my strawberries,because it turns out that is the exact spot I want to build a turn around for my car.

Everything is frozen and snow covered. I was looking at my picasa album and I saw last year this time there was no snow,so I bet I WAS walking around the yard planning.

I am wishing dh would buy me a harbor freight green house.I bet they are still on sale,and I have the perfect spot picked out for it.Oh how much I could grow before the ground warmed up!

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Hubby and I will start deciding what we are going to plant next year, maybe tonight. We have already gotten 3 seed catalogs, so we need to go thru what we already have and decide what we need to order. We will start the peppers probably next week and the tomatoes 2 weeks after that. Then, we will gradually start everything else that needs started so everything is ready to go in the ground around the same time. Hubby worked night shift last year during gardening season and our gardens (all 7 of them) suffered miserably, so hopefully they will be much better this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by