Preparing to get a couple of chicks

Welcome to BYC!!
Chicks are great fun and are fairly easy to raise, even for beginners (if you have the right resources). It would be wise to get somewhere around 5 or 6 chicks, then in case you have a couple mishaps or cockerels you will still have a few chicks to keep each other company. Chickens are very social creatures and do not do particularly well by themselves. They can get very lonely with no friends to cuddle up with and run around with. I would recommend planning out everything in advance. Things you might want to be thinking about are your brooder and heating type, feed as well as chick grit, bedding, how you will keep the bedding out of their water :rolleyes:, common treatable health issues (like pasty butt and coccidiosis), weather or not you want them vaccinated, and where you will want to put them once they're big enough to go outside.
There are a ton of great resources on this forum that can help you answer any questions you might have in your chick journey, it sure helped me out with my first batch.

Good luck and enjoy your fluffy babies :)

Back
Top Bottom