Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

I figured in the garage they won't be gettin blasted by the wind. What would you put on the concrete floor? By the way they still don't go up Ito their coop at night by themselves. Ugh.
You need to pick your girls up (literally) and put them onto the roost every night, then close them in. Eventually their "light bulb" will turn on and they'll get it. This may take anywhere from 2-3 times to who knows when...chickens...go figure!
gig.gif

4:30 PM EST, my girls went into the coop themselves, got ready for bed, obviously don't care much about the daylight saving time. I leave the coop door open all the time except during cleaning, so they can go in and out between the coop and a secured run as they please. Being that the run is well covered with clear corrugated plastic panels (roof and the bottom half), the girls have plenty of space to roam, look at the "views", enjoy the sunlight and fresh air, and stay dry. There is a solar night light inside our coop, but it will shut off shortly after the girls settle in for the night. I don't plan to add additional light or a heat lamp during the winter. As long as fresh unfreeze water and feed can be provided, windows to control draft and ventilation, I think the chickens should be all right through the frigid weather.

4:30 PM EST, my girls went into the coop themselves, got ready for bed, obviously don't care much about the daylight saving time. I leave the coop door open all the time except during cleaning, so they can go in and out between the coop and a secured run as they please. Being that the run is well covered with clear corrugated plastic panels (roof and the bottom half), the girls have plenty of space to roam, look at the "views", enjoy the sunlight and fresh air, and stay dry. There is a solar night light inside our coop, but it will shut off shortly after the girls settle in for the night. I don't plan to add additional light or a heat lamp during the winter. As long as fresh unfreeze water and feed can be provided, windows to control draft and ventilation, I think the chickens should be all right through the frigid weather.
Went in to bed early to stay snug and warm in the weather! Tell me they aren't smarter than we are.
gig.gif

I wanted to winterize my coop. I live in the outskirts of Houston, TX. Even though it doesn't get extremely cold it does dip down into the 30's. My coop is on the north side and the wind whips through location. I had some of those white cup hooks and went around the 3 sides of the coop hanging them. I purchased 3(8 gauge)clear plastic shower curtains. Now I can hang them very easily and take them down when the weather changes, it also blocks the winds. Can't wait to use them!

You need to pick your girls up (literally) and put them onto the roost every night, then close them in. Eventually their "light bulb" will turn on and they'll get it. This may take anywhere from 2-3 times to who knows when...chickens...go figure! :gig

Mine also don't sleep in the coop but I can't get them once they put themselves to bed because they sleep under it. Should I go out just before dark and put them to bed?

Mine also don't sleep in the coop but I can't get them once they put themselves to bed because they sleep under it. Should I go out just before dark and put them to bed?
How about block off access to underneath the coop until they learn how to get inside the coop to sleep? If they go to sleep in the run, at least you can pick them up and move them at night.

Yellowchicks has a good idea with blocking off the underside of your coop, but YES, put them to bed before dark...good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom