Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by iwiw60, Aug 26, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You need to pick your girls up (literally) and put them onto the roost every night, then close them in. Eventually their "light bulb" will turn on and they'll get it. This may take anywhere from 2-3 times to who knows when...chickens...go figure! [​IMG]

2. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    4:30 PM EST, my girls went into the coop themselves, got ready for bed, obviously don't care much about the daylight saving time. I leave the coop door open all the time except during cleaning, so they can go in and out between the coop and a secured run as they please. Being that the run is well covered with clear corrugated plastic panels (roof and the bottom half), the girls have plenty of space to roam, look at the "views", enjoy the sunlight and fresh air, and stay dry. There is a solar night light inside our coop, but it will shut off shortly after the girls settle in for the night. I don't plan to add additional light or a heat lamp during the winter. As long as fresh unfreeze water and feed can be provided, windows to control draft and ventilation, I think the chickens should be all right through the frigid weather.

3. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Went in to bed early to stay snug and warm in the weather! Tell me they aren't smarter than we are.[​IMG]

4. cluckmomma

cluckmomma New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Tomball, TX
    I wanted to winterize my coop. I live in the outskirts of Houston, TX. Even though it doesn't get extremely cold it does dip down into the 30's. My coop is on the north side and the wind whips through location. I had some of those white cup hooks and went around the 3 sides of the coop hanging them. I purchased 3(8 gauge)clear plastic shower curtains. Now I can hang them very easily and take them down when the weather changes, it also blocks the winds. Can't wait to use them!

1 person likes this.
  5. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    We are predicted to hit 8 degrees tonight, which in my neck of the woods will most likely be closer to zero....here we go, folks!! Winter's here!!

6. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    I was wondering if you put a few hand warmer under the water bowl. They last a few hours. It would be safer. :idunno

7. Erin277

Erin277 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    Oregon
    Mine also don't sleep in the coop but I can't get them once they put themselves to bed because they sleep under it. Should I go out just before dark and put them to bed?

8. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    How about block off access to underneath the coop until they learn how to get inside the coop to sleep? If they go to sleep in the run, at least you can pick them up and move them at night.

1 person likes this.
  9. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yellowchicks has a good idea with blocking off the underside of your coop, but YES, put them to bed before dark...good luck!!

10. hopefoundfarm

hopefoundfarm New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    Where did you find the 250 watt mini stock tank heaters?
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by