Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

We are in eastern Washington and can get some very cold winters. My main coop is 6'x6'x4' with the top back half insulated with the sheet insulating foam board and the bottom half is screened. I put in storm windows on the upper half for the warming winter sun to penetrate. Then two additions on each side which are both screened in, one with a slanted covered roof and the other is a wire roof. I wrap the vertical screened area with 4 to 6 mil plastic each winter. I planned ahead and put up two shelves with formica sheeting on the top insulated half with shower stall inserts on the upright surfaces. I wanted ease of poop scrapping and ease in cleaning the walls and have been very pleased with the preparations. For this winter I have a heated poultry waterer and will be using straw in addition. The soiled straw is great to recycle in a compost pile in preparations for gardening. My girls have been healthy, happy and giving us delicious eggs. I am so hooked on having chickens as pets as well as productive members of the family.

I was going to at least try nesting box curtains, since I had a problem with our chickens sleeping in the boxes over winter.According to chicken chick blog, the curtains help deter them from sleeping in the boxes.I might also try insulating the ceiling a bit, but not too tight. I'm in oregon, and we don't get snow but some frost.

Last edited:
I live in E. Wa. state and it gets really cold in the winter. I think your idea of wrapping the run in plastic is a good one! It will provide a warmer place for them to be outside and also will keep the wind and drafts out of the coop. My run is not covered and I will cover at least part of it so they can go out - even in the rain or snow and not get wet. This will be my second winter w/chickens and I will not be using a heater in the coop. Everyone I have talked to says that it is healthier for the chickens to acclimate to the temperatures and I won't have to worry about a fire! I have nine girls and use the deep litter method with wood shavings. I hope some heat comes from the litter as it decomposes but mostly I count on body heat to keep them warm at night. I move the feed and water into the coop for the winter and elevate both on cement pavers to keep the bedding out. Also, I close the girls in at night when it is really cold to help keep the coop warmer. I have one hen who is bald on her back due to a very amorous rooster (who is happily rehomed) - happy for me, anyway! I ordered a winter, fleece lined, apron for her and it arrived yesterday. Hope I can figure out how to get it on her because her back is so red. I think that is due to the blood coming to the surface to keep her warm. Supposedly her feathers will grow in under the apron. Hope so.

My chickens can go into the coop any time I live in the sierra foothills snow sometimes frost too and today its raining and I don't have a cover on the run (bad chicken mom) will they be ok to get wet as long as its not really cold (65-70 today)

CAUTION CAUTION...HEAT LAMPS. WE LOST AN ENTIRE FLOCK WHEN WE USED A HEAT LAMP THAT WAS COVERED IN A TEFLON LIKE COATING. THE LAMP NEVER MENTIONED THIS COATING. BUT WORDS LIKE - "SHATTERPROOF ". SHOULD BE AN ALERT. BE SURE TO EXAMINE EACH BULB YOU USE. NO COATING PLEASE.

CAUTION CAUTION...HEAT LAMPS. WE LOST AN ENTIRE FLOCK WHEN WE USED A HEAT LAMP THAT WAS COVERED IN A TEFLON LIKE COATING. THE LAMP NEVER MENTIONED THIS COATING. BUT WORDS LIKE - "SHATTERPROOF ". SHOULD BE AN ALERT. BE SURE TO EXAMINE EACH BULB YOU USE. NO COATING PLEASE.
What happens to them?

Hi, First of all, your coop and run are awesome! I'm a little envious.;)
Thanks for starting this thread. I live in the Pacific NW so our winters are pretty mild. That said, we do get some snow (a day or two) and it does get down to freezing overnight. My watering system is a 3-gallon bucket with nipples on the bottom. I wonder how I should prevent it from freezing. I was thinking of wrapping it with some sort of insulation but obviously it has to be safe since they may peck at it.
I've also been wondering about light. My coop is wired and has two small bulbs. When should I start lighting it and what are the hours, 7am to 7pm?
I'd love any suggestions!
Thanks,
Katy

[
WARNING We lost 16 birds, long term healthy and productive chickens and guineas! All were safely in their large coop and all died there. They died a terrible, painful, and suffocating death in a place that they thought was safe. They died between the time they were locked in the coop and when I opened the coop to let them out to free range.

They were laying face down, grouped in pairs with their favorite flock mate. The Orpington rooster had his wing over his favorite hen. Our favorite lavender guinea hen died next to her six-month chick huddled next to the coop door. Two sister Light Brama hens lay side by side in a corner. It was as if someone arranged them to die with their buddy. Nothing else was disturbed. The only thing that was different was that I changed their warming bulb that night.

the light had no warning on the box nor no indication that a non-stick coating was used in the bulb. Our research both on the web and in stores indicates that in most cases the bulbs are not marked.

Please check all your bulbs! If there is any indication of any coating do not use. Join Rachel Carson Conference RCC in requesting that all PTFE-containing products include animal health information, such as the following:

WARNING! This product contains PTFE, known to release toxic fumes potentially fatal to birds when the product is overheated. Keep birds away from this product.

Please read this article if you read nothing else- it was posted by another member in caring response to our tragedy , http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/20...nt-bulbs-a-potential-danger-to-your-chickens/

Also

http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/text/styles/teflon.html

http://424pets.com/fumes.html

http://voices.yahoo.com/shatter-resistant-bulbs-dangerous-poultry-7913000.html?cat=53

Back
Top Bottom