Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

I'm still playing catch up in the thread, but I wanted to share my idea for nesting box curtains. :) I bought one if those cheap, fleece throws for about $3. I cut a strip off of it big enough to stretch across my 3 nesting boxes and cut some vertical strips in it. Ya da! Easy and cheap for those of us who are a little challenged with crafts!

Curtains on nesting boxes? Why would you want to encourage roosting in a nest box. I'm a little confused here.

I am actually having a slight problem with my rooster being out in the cold. His comb is actually turning blue at night because it is getting so cold. I have even taken the risk of putting a heat lamp in the coop, and his comb STILL turns blue. I think he even got frostbite, because one morning I took him out and the tips of his comb were slightly scabbed, and still slightly blue. My hens are even cold. They won't stay in their nesting boxes anymore and they sleep in the middle of the coop every night so they can be under the heat lamp. I have cedar shavings in the coop sometimes, but the chickens seem to dislike it and will do every thing they can to scratch it out of their coop before they will sleep. Plus it can serve as a fire hazard, seeing as there is a heat lamp in the coop. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I live in the PNW and it usually doesn't get this cold here, so a temporary fix would be fine, as long as it lasts through this unexpectedly cold winter. Any help would be very much appreciated.
You say that you have cedar shavings in the coop, sometimes. And that they will scratch it out of their coop before they will sleep. Do they not sleep on their roost bar(s)? Do they sleep on the floor? If they are, you most likely will have to literally pick them up and put them on the roost. Eventually they will get the idea.

I also live in the Pacific Northwest, over in Central Oregon. You mentioned that it usually doesn't get that cold...you must live on the western side of the state because it has been brutally cold over here the past few weeks.

I don't recommend using cedar shavings for a floor bedding as they have that cedar aroma about them that can be irritating to some animals. I use pine wood shavings like you buy at the feed store...they come in a plastic bale....makes the coop smell so fresh! If they are kicking the bedding out slap up a 1 x 6 or 1 x 8 across the doorway so it won't get out (mostly!). The bedding is what will make your coop more warm.....

As for the blueish comb I've never had to deal with that so cannot advise. But if they are getting frostbite on their combs and/or wattles lightly rub some Vaseline on them...it helps.

Can you post some pics of the interior of your coop?

Curtains on nesting boxes? Why would you want to encourage roosting in a nest box. I'm a little confused here.

Not to encourage roosting in the boxes. My girls roost on their roost. I put curtains on the boxes to help hold heat in a little longer in an attempt to keep eggs from freezing since I work all day. :)

Last edited:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRidge

I don't think the poster is using the nest boxes as a sleeping area. Nesting box curtains provide hens with more privacy..they really do like it.

Last edited:
You could probably just use packing tape and tape it over the top edge? Or maybe self adhesive Velcro strips on the plastic and sew on Velcro in the curtain?

Last edited:

I don't think the poster is using the nest boxes as a sleeping area. Nesting box curtains provide hens with more privacy..they really do like it.

I'm thinking my chickens must be exhibitionists then because they want the entire world to know every time they lay an egg. Sometimes they'll even share a box while laying (when there are 10 other empty ones). They do have their preferences, but privacy has never been one of them. ,-)
When I cover the front of my boxes it's to prevent pullets from accessing them prior to pol.

You could probably just use packing tape and tape it over the top edge? Or maybe self adhesive Velcro strips on the plastic and sew on Velcro in the curtain?
Thanks for that idea...hadn't thought of that, but you know....it could work! Yay!
frow.gif

I'm thinking my chickens must be exhibitionists then because they want the entire world to know every time they lay an egg. Sometimes they'll even share a box while laying (when there are 10 other empty ones). They do have their preferences, but privacy has never been one of them. ,-)
When I cover the front of my boxes it's to prevent pullets from accessing them prior to pol.
I think you're missing the point of using nesting box curtains...they give the hen 'privacy' and they do love them!

Back
Top Bottom