Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

Quote: You're right. That's why I have the lathe strips screwed in for easy removal and maneuvering to lower the plastic as needed. This is the first time I'm using plastic sheeting so it'll be a "see and learn" experience for sure!!
yippiechickie.gif

The bottom line is, no you don't need to insulate, and there are a lot of compelling reasons to not insulate: One reason that is not often mentioned, but which is the CHIEF reason why I don't insulate... at least in the conventional sense is: that insulation can be a haven for mites and mice. That being said: will your flock be more comfortable with insulation. I believe that it can be beneficial in that the coop will stay warmer in the winter, and cooler in the summer. Sure, lots of folks say it's not needed. But, IMO, there's a difference between chickens surviving the winter, and thriving through the winter. There were several weeks in a row last winter where the day time high didn't make it above zero, here. My chickens were so cold that their normal activity ceased. So I gave them a flower pot heater, and it seemed to make a difference in their activity level. They also ate MORE when they had the heater. Be sure they have plenty of ventilation and that that ventilation is NOT directly over their perches, or if it is, that it's at least a couple of feet above their heads. Also, as mentioned by MrsK (I think it was her) be sure to have your perches far enough away from the wall and ceiling that they don't touch either, including with their tail feathers. Make those perches wide enough that their feet will be flat on the perch, not having their toes wrapped around the perch.
Sure learned my lesson on this. I had my fellow make 2 1/2" dowel perches and that was fine for smaller birds. Then I bought bigger White Plymouth Rocks and they get big. They could NOT adjust to the perch. Too unsteady. So I replaced with 2" x 4" boards and they are all up tonight on the top rung. I'm so happy to have had the person doing my other coop make this change for me.
ya.gif

Hi! It's me, iwiw60, that 'winterized' my run today, not islandgirl....!!
frow.gif

It's hard to see in the pics, but the top is open about 6-8" all around, but yes, I'm keeping the north side completely open for now...still a little too warm yet. The nice thing is I can loosen the top screws of the plastic and 'lower it' if even during the hard freeze it gets too warm in there.
Stellar job!!! I'm in La and it never gets too cold so all I'm doing is putting up clear shower curtains on the back half by the roosts. Three sided.
big_smile.png

You're right. That's why I have the lathe strips screwed in for easy removal and maneuvering to lower the plastic as needed. This is the first time I'm using plastic sheeting so it'll be a "see and learn" experience for sure!! :yiipchick
nice job!

You're right. That's why I have the lathe strips screwed in for easy removal and maneuvering to lower the plastic as needed. This is the first time I'm using plastic sheeting so it'll be a "see and learn" experience for sure!!
yippiechickie.gif

same here, luckily chickens are pretty tough. Now I hear this winter is going to be much milder than predicted? Will they ever make up their minds?
roll.png

same here, luckily chickens are pretty tough. Now I hear this winter is going to be much milder than predicted? Will they ever make up their minds?
roll.png
They'll let us know next spring what the winter was like. Until then, they won't have a clue. The last prediction I heard was something to the effect of, "It will be colder and more snow, unless El Nino develops. Then it will be milder." Sigh... why do they even bother to say anything?

My house was built in 1901. I think my coop was built just after the house. :) We have a large coop with 2 separate runs. One side with nest boxes for my layers and one without, for my dinners. We, hopefully, will be adding siding to the outside of the coop on all sides. We will be tacking plywood up about 4 feet on the West and possibly North sides of the run, but will be leaving the Southern Exposure open. My runs are covered with metal roofing that has a steep pitch for Utah snow load. We will be adding some bedding to the interior of the coop to keep things toasty. Also we will be laying plywood over the interior to lower the ceilings. The roof is newly shingled, but is about 15 feet high. We feel that dropping the ceiling will help my girls (and the 2 ducks) use their own body heat to warm things up a bit.

I notice lots of talk about perches. I have 4 mature hens and 4 chicks who are currently living in my laundry room. None of my mature hens sit on perches. Is this strange? Two of them curl up together on the drop door between the run and the coop. They other two cuddle up with the ducks on the floor of the coop. How do I encourage them to actually perch? I've seen them snuggle on the top of the nest boxes, but again, no perching!! Silly girls!

~Trampswife

For those chicken owners who are of the thought of adding supplemental light to their chicken coops for the winter months, I quite accidentally stumbled on an article that I think you should most definitely read.

On that webpage was a section on pros and cons of supplemental light which, in part, read:

DO NOT use bulbs labeled 'Teflon-coated', 'Tefcoat', 'Rough Surface', 'Protective Coated' or "Safety Coated' - TEFLON, when heated, creates fumes that can be fatal to your hens. Sadly, these bulbs are still on the market, some marked with warnings, some not. Here's the link to the page:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/w...light_bulbs_toxic_to_chickens_the_full_story/
WARNING:
Teflon-Coated Light Bulbs
Toxic to Chickens...
The Full Story

Back
Top Bottom