Prepping for the Superbowl... YIKES

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineappleMama, Nov 18, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/17/2640811/texas-arlington-preparing-for.html

"Texas
    Attorney General Greg Abbott announced Wednesday that he will commit state resources to combat a potential influx of human trafficking in Arlington in advance of the Super Bowl.

A dozen members of his staff will converge on the city to help local authorities stop traffickers from forcing women and children into prostitution, he said during a meeting of the Texas Human Trafficking Prevention Task Force at Arlington City Hall.

Abbott cited a report from a Florida task force estimating that tens of thousands of women and minors were trafficked in the Miami area during the last Super Bowl. The game is considered "one of the biggest human-trafficking events in the United States," he said.

"We know that the sex traffickers and the girls they enslave are going to be out in full force," Abbott said. "We are going to be helping out by putting boots on the ground."

Abbott's office will also offer training related to human trafficking to law enforcement in the 10 weeks before the game, he said.

In Miami, traffickers found customers by driving around entertainment districts in buses filled with women offering lap dances and picking customers up at the curb, Abbott said. They also had "topless prostitutes parading around on top of SUVs" and placed ads on websites offering sexual services.

Some of the prostitutes are underage, he said. At a recent Super Bowl in Tampa, Fla., a state agency reportedly rescued 24 children who were forced to be sex workers.

Abbott warned customers who solicit prostitutes that many of the women and girls are being forced to provide sex.

"[Customers] need to understand two things," Abbott said. "One, it is a crime, and they go to jail for that. Two, they need to realize they are helping to victimize what is often a young, teenage girl who basically is serving as a slave. So they are an accomplice to a human-trafficking enslavement crime."

Wednesday's meeting was the second gathering of the anti-trafficking task force, which the Legislature created last year.

Texas is considered a major hub for domestic and international human trafficking. In 2008, 38 percent of all calls to the National Human Trafficking Resource Center hot line were from Texas.

Arlington police have tried to crack down on prostitution in the entertainment district. The City Council recently rejected a proposal to ban convicted prostitutes from the area by creating an exclusionary zone, though police said the upcoming Super Bowl was not the driving force behind the plan.

Abbott said that while local authorities will also focus on prostitutes willingly offering services, his staff will focus on trafficking.

SOOOO if YOU lived here in Arlington what would you be planning for that time?

Some folks are planning to rent out their home, for some really crazy prices btw.

Others are planning to lock it all up and get the heck out of dodge.

Neither of those is possible for us so I'm thinking barricading ourselves in the house from the 5-7th wouldn't be a bad idea...

Firewood, check.
    Swords, check.
    Food, check.
    Flail, check.
    Drinks, check.
    Slingshot, check.
    S'more fixings, check.
    Staves, check.
    Hot Dogs, check.
    Knives, check.
    Movies, check.
    Bats, check

Hey what do you guys think of the Springfield XD? Or Halberds... DH has been wanting one of those... or a war axe/hammer.

And yes, yes I do realize that I'm a paranoid nutcase... but just 'cuz I'm paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't going to be one or more predators in the up to 110,000 person mob that can fit into Cowboys Stadium that is a mere four miles (driving) from my front door.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

3. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Insanity!! [​IMG] And you are only 4 miles from the stadium?? YIKES!!! You may be underweaponed....

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Rockin' Reds :

Insanity!! [​IMG] And you are only 4 miles from the stadium?? YIKES!!! You may be underweaponed....

You know, I think you're the first person to EVER suggest such a thing...

Course we've never had a SB here either...

Didja notice that they specified that this group was NOT going to be handling those willingly offering services.. so that'll be a whole 'nother mess... then there's the drugs, scalpers... gah!

DH thinks I'm being a little paranoid... but then I figure you know, even if NOTHING goes wrong... no extra crime or anything... if you get in a wreck you're going to be totally screwed because all the police, fire, and medics are down in that teensy area. And traffic WILL be increased because you're looking at increasing the population by appx 25%... our roads aren't made for that, lights aren't programmed for that, police aren't funded for that.

Overall, better to stock up and stay home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by