Pressure behind chicken waterer

meoddone

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 12, 2015
I've installed a few nipple waterers for my hens but it appears that the pressure is too great for them to work properly. I hooked them up to my well water. Can these only work under gravity pressure? I have to really push in on the actuator, then the water sprays everywhere, I bet it would frighten my hens even if they got it to work...

Thanks in advance!

You can get a pressure reducer and install it into the water line that runs to your waterer setup and that should do the trick,
I'm not totally familiar with the pressure needed to make them work optimal but I have seen quite a few of the pressure regulators on amazon, and in the local hardware store.

Poultry valves are meant to be operated at under 1 PSI. There are dedicated pressure reducers designed for chickens that will do this, but the ones sold for drip irrigation at the hardware store reduce water pressure to somewhere between 10-25 PSI. This is still too high.

I appreciate the help! I'll look for a reducer. I didn't remember reading anything that specified water pressure, but once I installed them it became apparent something needed to change!

Another option to a pressure reducer, if you only need 1 psi, is to mount a tank 3 ft. above your waterers. Of course, you will have to manually fill your tank or install a toilet float type system to fill it automatically.

I can't find a reducer in stock that goes down to 1psi. Anybody know where to find one?

My original plan was to install a 10 gallon bucket for the chickens, turkeys, and pigs, but decided to hard pipe since I had to run PVC to the general area anyway...

You are probably right, it just depresses me a bit because I already have everything piped and buried! Aahhhh!!!!! Oh well, should have researched more first I suppose... Thanks for everybody's help!

Back
Top Bottom