1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pressure treated 4x4s for run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by boat309, Feb 26, 2014.

1. boat309

boat309 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    south shore mass
    So I am building my run. I wanted to set 6 pressure treated 4x4s in to the ground for the wire mesh to attach to. Will the pt kill or make the birds sick??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends on what it is treated with. Newer treatments are less hazardous. The wood should either be stamped with the chemical or the supplier should be able to tell you what it is. You certainly don't want wood treated with inorganic arsenic.

Look for products certified as an Environmentally Preferable Product (EPP).
    You might want to read up here.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...working-with-pressure-treated-lumber-15655848

3. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    No.

And I've never heard anyone even offer the slightest evidence that it would.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Before setting the post coat them with asphalt or roofing tar for added years to the post.

5. Andrstein

Andrstein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Virginia
    Great advice. I did this to protect from termites which will still eat at the newer types of "treated" wood.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've used pressure treated and non. The regular lumber lasts years also. I'll probably move and have to tear down some buildings before they rot.

The concrete deck blocks work very well. You don't have to dig holes and they keep the lumber dry. With them, all you have to do is paint the bottom of the wood. A tornado would be a problem though.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If you lived in the deep south you couldn't say that. The fire ants would have torn down any regular non treated wood that touch the ground.

1 person likes this.
  8. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have pressure treated wood that I painted before attaching the wire to it. It has been there for 3 years with no issues to the birds.

9. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop

Nope. I built my coop and run with treated pine from Home Depot and my chickens are all fine!

10. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana

PT lumber is perfectly safe unless you burn and inhale the smoke fumes. Pressure treated wood is the correct choice for any exterior projects where the wood is exposed to the ground or weather elements. Non pressure treated wood can be used for above ground applications as long as a protective coat of paint protects it from the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by