Pressure treated 4x4s for run?

boat309

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
south shore mass
So I am building my run. I wanted to set 6 pressure treated 4x4s in to the ground for the wire mesh to attach to. Will the pt kill or make the birds sick??

It depends on what it is treated with. Newer treatments are less hazardous. The wood should either be stamped with the chemical or the supplier should be able to tell you what it is. You certainly don't want wood treated with inorganic arsenic.

Look for products certified as an Environmentally Preferable Product (EPP).
You might want to read up here.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...working-with-pressure-treated-lumber-15655848

I've used pressure treated and non. The regular lumber lasts years also. I'll probably move and have to tear down some buildings before they rot.

The concrete deck blocks work very well. You don't have to dig holes and they keep the lumber dry. With them, all you have to do is paint the bottom of the wood. A tornado would be a problem though.

If you lived in the deep south you couldn't say that. The fire ants would have torn down any regular non treated wood that touch the ground.

It depends on what it is treated with. Newer treatments are less hazardous. The wood should either be stamped with the chemical or the supplier should be able to tell you what it is. You certainly don't want wood treated with inorganic arsenic.

Look for products certified as an Environmentally Preferable Product (EPP).
You might want to read up here.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...working-with-pressure-treated-lumber-15655848

Nope. I built my coop and run with treated pine from Home Depot and my chickens are all fine!

So I am building my run. I wanted to set 6 pressure treated 4x4s in to the ground for the wire mesh to attach to. Will the pt kill or make the birds sick??

PT lumber is perfectly safe unless you burn and inhale the smoke fumes. Pressure treated wood is the correct choice for any exterior projects where the wood is exposed to the ground or weather elements. Non pressure treated wood can be used for above ground applications as long as a protective coat of paint protects it from the weather.

Back
Top Bottom