Pressure treated lumber in a chicken coop

yeah i have to aggree with all the other people, Ive use PT lumber on all my coops and so far its bin 3-4 years and nopthing has happened. I say go for it! and its free!!!!!
clap.gif

PT lumber used to be called CCA which stands for Chromated Copper Arsenate. The reason they stopped making it was because of those that were building with it on a regular bases, that is to say, those that were cutting it, were breathing in the saw dust and being poisoned by the arsenic in it. Breathing the smoke from burning CCA is also poisonous.

The PT lumber now being sold is called ACQ, Alkaline Copper Quaternary. It contains no arsenic but more copper. It does however have a corrosive issue with it.

Using new ACQ lumber for decks, regular deck screws can not be used as the chemicals in the lumber will eat the screws. So, special screws have to be used such as stainless steel or triple zink dipped screws. Copper screws work to as copper won't disolve copper.

So, before you spend all your time building, make sure you get the right screws so it doesn't fall apart on you later!

(my hubby is a carpenter and we used to have our own construction company and have built many homes/apartments and decks)

Last edited:
If you use it, I would still recommend you wear a mask when you cut it. There is a reason it still doesn't have any termites. If you have any concerns about it still leaching into your soils, paint will help seal it.

Well this is perfect timing - we are pulling our old PT deck off the house this week. Free lumber to make a new coop!!! (I hope hubby does NOT see this, but I spotted barred rock chicks at TSC this morning ans sort of fell in love...)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom