Pressure treated lumber or no?

Jrobinsonmtplus3

Chirping
May 20, 2017
It's probably been asked before and if appreciate thread links if anyone can help,
But should I use pressure treated lumber?
Particle board or plywood?
Why or why not to both those questions? Tia!

It's probably been asked before and if appreciate thread links if anyone can help,
But should I use pressure treated lumber?
Particle board or plywood?
Why or why not to both those questions? Tia!
For the coop? I would us plywood ... although particle board is slightly more dimensionally stable, it can warp more easily over time with moisture. The plywood is stronger and reasonably dimensionally stable. T-111 is common for exterior work. Paint or stain the exterior surfaces with something durable to outside conditions. I would only use the pressure treated wood for portions making direct contact with the ground or that are exterior, but not being painted/stained.

I used pressure treated for the exterior door to my run.

Don't paint or stain the interior of the coop.

also- does it matter substaitially if I use 1/2 in or 3/4 in plywood If I don't plan to cover it with anything else?

There's the added cost to consider when using a thicker plywood, a cost that adds up substantially if you can't source materials cheaply... but that being said thicker plywood takes longer to rot out if you don't cover it with siding. Cost vs durability.

thank you!
any brand suggestions for pet safe stain or paint?
No clue about the paint ... they will tend not to pick at the outside walls, so I would not over worry ... more important, I think, to get something that will stand up to the outside elements. I would avoid oil base paints, but latex and acrylic paints are so much more easy to use anyway!

There's the added cost to consider when using a thicker plywood, a cost that adds up substantially if you can't source materials cheaply... but that being said thicker plywood takes longer to rot out if you don't cover it with siding. Cost vs durability.
yes... there in lies the dilemma... Maybe we could go with a thinner one now and source used vinyl for later...

If you have craigslist or freecycle in your area, I'd keep my eyes open for deals. I got all my OSB board almost half cost for the last coop. The savings add up. Also, garage sales are your friend.

If you have craigslist or freecycle in your area, I'd keep my eyes open for deals. I got all my OSB board almost half cost for the last coop. The savings add up. Also, garage sales are your friend.
Also new construction in your area ... some contractors won't mind giving you smaller cut offs that they might not end up using.

Back
Top Bottom