Pressure Treated Safe or Not safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jhamblin, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jhamblin

jhamblin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I am about to purchase wood for my run and wanted to know if I could use PT wood without ill effects. There will be no feed or water in the run around the wood, I will keep it in the coop.

Thanks,
    James

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The old problem with PT was that arsnic was used in the treatment. Arsnic hasn't been used is a lot of years, so PT is safe.......Pop

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Isn't PT wood more costly?

PT wood is necessary only when close to or in contact with soil. I would suggest to save on the cost and less worry about toxicity exposure.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    PT wood is necessary only when close to or in contact with soil.

Ground-contact rated lumber has .40 pounds of preservative per cubic foot. Above-ground rated lumber has .25 pounds.
    You can use above ground rated treated lumber in contact with or in the soil but it wont last as long.

Chris​

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The old problem with PT was that arsnic was used in the treatment. Arsnic hasn't been used is a lot of years, so PT is safe.......Pop

I agree with Pop,
    PT wood is fine to use.

Chris

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    WEll i only build a doghouse so far. I used treated 2x4s for the ground contact and after two years outside in our kansas weather it holds up just fine.

7. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    Also the health issue with pressure treated wood is fume related. So to frame an outdoor run, fumes would be aboutyour last problem.

8. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We used pressure treated, but put these sleeves over them so the chickens wouldn't peck at the wood. I think they came from Home Depot, so they are easy to find.
    You can see a photo of them on my page (you have to scroll down a bit to see the run). The sleeves are white.
    Happy building!

9. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I used pressure treated on all my run. Here in Kentucky our Lowe's has pressure treated 2x4's cheaper than regular 2x4's. $1.97 compared to $2.40.

10. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    PT is just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by