Pressure Treated Safe or Not safe?

jhamblin

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
I am about to purchase wood for my run and wanted to know if I could use PT wood without ill effects. There will be no feed or water in the run around the wood, I will keep it in the coop.

Thanks,
James

Isn't PT wood more costly?

PT wood is necessary only when close to or in contact with soil. I would suggest to save on the cost and less worry about toxicity exposure.

Quote:
PT wood is necessary only when close to or in contact with soil.

Ground-contact rated lumber has .40 pounds of preservative per cubic foot. Above-ground rated lumber has .25 pounds.
You can use above ground rated treated lumber in contact with or in the soil but it wont last as long.

Chris​

Quote:
The old problem with PT was that arsnic was used in the treatment. Arsnic hasn't been used is a lot of years, so PT is safe.......Pop

I agree with Pop,
PT wood is fine to use.

Chris

Also the health issue with pressure treated wood is fume related. So to frame an outdoor run, fumes would be aboutyour last problem.

We used pressure treated, but put these sleeves over them so the chickens wouldn't peck at the wood. I think they came from Home Depot, so they are easy to find.
You can see a photo of them on my page (you have to scroll down a bit to see the run). The sleeves are white.
Happy building!

Back
Top Bottom