Pressure treated wood

I believe that sealing any exposed wood should take care of the problem. The part that is sunk into concrete should be fine, also. Exposed wood that isn't sealed will leach what ever it's treated with into the soil, when it rains. The old treatment would then get taken up by plants, which was a problem if the plant was eaten. Or if you brushed against the wood, the old treatments would rub off on your hand and be absorbed through your skin.

I don't know what the new treated wood is treated with. It's supposed to be safer, but they used to say the old arsenic stuff was safe, too.
big_smile.png
I'd want to see a material safety data sheet on it.
WoodlandWoman,
I live in NH and am having a fenced enclosure built for my chickens. I'm selling organic eggs and don't want the PT wood to be a problem. What do you recommend sealing the PT wood with and where can I find the sealant?

I bought all untreated but I did ponder on buying the treated and putting the vinyl sleeves on them. I decided not to because I was going to have to special order the sleeves and I was itching to get started. It maybe an option for you if you haven't already resolves another way. If you don't cover them with something just watch your chickens carefully for any signs of stress.

Back
Top Bottom