pressure treated wood

Using p/t wood is not harmful for chickens. I have used it for the parts of my coop that come in contact with the ground and that works very well! Please keep us informed with the conversion of playset to chicken coop!

-Nate

This is one of those myths/urban legends that's incredibly annoying and nonsensical IMO...Just think about all the decks on the backs of houses that are constructed completely out of PT wood. I have not heard of one instance of wild birds, squirrels or any living creature dying b/c it came into contact with such construction. If it were as dangerous as we've been lead to believe, we'd have rip off every deck that's been built in the last 30 years or more.

Last edited:
When not using treated lumber, I use one or two coats of Termin-8 Copper Green. It's more economical and has saved me in a pinch this year.

Ummmm, your kids played on the P/T lumber for years right? They're ok I'm thinking. So I guess it'd be ok for the chickens. And I gotta say I
love.gif
your idea of re-purposing what you already have. Kudo's to you!

We won't be starting the conversion until spring, especially b/c right now there's snow on the ground and it's only about twenty something during the day.
smile.png
But when we start I will post!

Quote:
Arsenic is only used to treat dogs that ALREADY have heartworms.

The active ingredient in preventive medicines is Ivomec

I stand corrected! Thanks for catching that! I knew it was used in there somewhere.

Quote:
Arsenic is only used to treat dogs that ALREADY have heartworms.

The active ingredient in preventive medicines is Ivomec

I stand corrected! Thanks for catching that! I knew it was used in there somewhere.

Actually, I don't think they even use the arsenic treatment anymore for heartworm; they have a newer treatment that is less toxic.

That may be true out west but in the East (dunno if o.p. is from Nazareth PA or some other one) pressure-treated wood is far, far more common (although it is sometimes stained redwood color). In fact I'm not sure you can GET redwood playsets around here, although cedar is not-uncommon in the more upmarket versions.

Pat, who built a playset for the kids a couple years ago that is part cedar, part p/t.

Back
Top Bottom