Pretty sure I'm Overreacting but... Chicks with Full Crops from Gorging?

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
Okay so I'm pretty sure they're fine. But I need feedback!!!!
My chicks (approx 2.5 weeks) ran out of food and knocked their water over when I was at work. I gave them more of both when I got home, and they proceeded to stuff their tiny crops FULL. They're disproportionately large and they kept readjusting them. In fact, I had to make some drink water because they wouldn't stop eating!
They have grit and water and have all calmed down. One couldn't swallow bc she couldn't drink water around all the food (or breathe very well) so I put a few drops on the side of her beak. She seemed better after that. In fact she ate more!

So my question is.... They're going to be ok right? I'm overreacting.... Right???
Their poor little crops are just so shockingly large... Should I ration it next time? Is this bad for them???

In other news one of the girls has decided she likes getting hand watered and having her crop massaged and now demands it.

Attachments

• 20190605_200950.jpg
    20190605_200950.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 15
I imagine they’ll be okay. I don’t know this for a fact but I think chicks are good at stuffing themselves and passing it through than eating a small measured portion three times a day. Six of mine once ate most of a one cup measure of grit in a couple of hours once. We won’t talk about the styrofoam...

For next time I would replace water and food in a usual amount.

Your little chick in the picture is too cute!

Try buying a gallon water since they are less likely to get knocked over, and keep it filled with fresh water. They may have just gorged themselves since they were without food and water. Hopefully they will be okay. It helps to anticipate these sorts of problems with baby chicks. They start getting wild and acrive at this age. I hope you have a screen over your brooder so they cannot jump out. Food needs to be available all the time to chicks. They will waste it, poop in it, but they need to be able to eat when they want. Raise feeders and waterers to shoulder height as they are constantly growing. Good luck with chicks.

Try buying a gallon water since they are less likely to get knocked over, and keep it filled with fresh water. They may have just gorged themselves since they were without food and water. Hopefully they will be okay. It helps to anticipate these sorts of problems with baby chicks. They start getting wild and acrive at this age. I hope you have a screen over your brooder so they cannot jump out. Food needs to be available all the time to chicks. They will waste it, poop in it, but they need to be able to eat when they want. Raise feeders and waterers to shoulder height as they are constantly growing. Good luck with chicks.

I may end up getting a gallon tbh. I wanted to avoid that since I have a nipple setup in their coop. Actually, they had knocked the container over because I'd raised it up! When it got low, their hopping up on it to drink tipped it over. Maybe I'll hang it from the ceiling... that may work better.

They're actually in a big dog kennel! Thank goodness. They sure are active. They're already flying well enough to get up on my shoulder and then glide around onto their siblings below. XD

I imagine they’ll be okay. I don’t know this for a fact but I think chicks are good at stuffing themselves and passing it through than eating a small measured portion three times a day. Six of mine once ate most of a one cup measure of grit in a couple of hours once. We won’t talk about the styrofoam...

For next time I would replace water and food in a usual amount.

Your little chick in the picture is too cute!

Thanks! She's a blue cochin, and loves to cuddle lol.

WELL, I checked up on them at lunch and they're doing swimmingly. Now one of my crevecoeurs has decided she likes being dropper-fed nutri-drench and wants me to do that for her. Now.

Whew. Thanks for the replies guys. It really startled me how firm and grainy their crops felt.... I knew it happened but WOW it was nerve-wracking!!

Back
Top Bottom