Pretty sure my hen is eggbound.....help??

dweder

Songster
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
I am quite confident I am dealing with a hen who is eggbound. No other signs of illness. She is listless. Hasnt layed today. Keeps contracting her vent and has her tail down. I can't quite feel anything specific in her abdomen. The contracting movement and listlessness makes me really think shes eggbound.

So, I have her in a warm bath. She is still contracting her vent, but is relaxed. Nothing visible in the vent.

What else can I do, or what else should I check???

Thank you so much.

your in the right direction, keep soaking her and massage her tummy down toward her vent, very carefully you don't want to break the egg, you can also crush up some tums in warm water and give her some of that. also make sure she is in a place where she is quiet and pretty dark. Maybe put a heating pad under some old towels and let her sit on it on low, the warmth will help her relax.. The is a link that tells you what else you can do I'll see if I can find it and post it for you.

this might help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6027978

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Miss Lydia! You have always replied to my requests for help. Greatly appreciated!!

Great news was that after about 30 minutes in the warm bath, she layed the egg in the water! It was really exciting that it worked! I was so relieved and happy.

Is this normal? Do they always lay the egg in the water when this works?

60309_egg_under_water.jpg

Back
Top Bottom