pretty sure this is lice can somebody verify please

mommy25babies

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013

I'm buying sevin dust to rub in between feathers of my 4 girls and cleaning coop and spreading in coop with d.e. washing down etc..also taking suggestion of removing nits with coconut oil from other poster..anything else??

Last edited:
So this is lice correct I used the sevin dust and thoroughly rubbed in feathers on skin and used coconut oil to take out as much of the nits as I could but there were a lot!!!! I couldn't get them all.. but because of coco oil thw dust stuck to the egg nits very well. Also clean out coop and run with water vinegar solution and liberal d.e. fresh shavings and hay for nesting boxes. Should I still get eprinex? I'm sure I will have to retreat her every few days or once a week until thwir gone. She was adipted a few weeks ago and I missed this my ither three had a few adults but no nits.

So this is lice correct I used the sevin dust and thoroughly rubbed in feathers on skin and used coconut oil to take out as much of the nits as I could but there were a lot!!!! I couldn't get them all.. but because of coco oil thw dust stuck to the egg nits very well. Also clean out coop and run with water vinegar solution and liberal d.e. fresh shavings and hay for nesting boxes. Should I still get eprinex? I'm sure I will have to retreat her every few days or once a week until thwir gone. She was adipted a few weeks ago and I missed this my ither three had a few adults but no nits.

I dont recommend using eprinex. Eprinex is placed on bare skin and is absorbed into the bloodstream. Eprinex kills biting lice that suck blood from cattle. Chicken lice are a different species and do not suck blood unless the opportunity presents itself, such as blood from a scratch. Chicken lice feed on dead skin and feathers. Eprinex will kill mites on chickens because mites suck blood.
Sevin dust is best. I recommend that you dust your coop and nests with sevin dust instead water/vinegar and DE. It's always best to keep everything as dry as possible. Wear a mask when dusting your birds and coop/nests.
Eprinex, much like ivermectin, has lost its effectiveness as a wormer in chickens. It wont kill cecal, capillary, nor tapeworms, and large roundworms are showing resistance to it as well.

I already washed down the coop (it dries super fast in the heat here in florida) and I aired it out it has two windows and three doors. Anyways.. ok tomorrow ill dust it with sevin. I just dusted the girls by flipping them upside down and really working the sevin in between the feathers and under wings. They looked powdered when each was done and when they ruffled their feathers it was like a puff of dust all over them. The one with eggs (as seen on pictures) I removed as many eggs as possible and some of those feathers came out. Took the eggs off with coconut oil. Then dusted her super liberally. Should I dust her again and if so when?

My biggest fear is eggs hatching and having outbreak all over and not being able to contain it. She had quite the outbreak or nest of eggs in her back area around and below her vent. In the fluffy feathers. It was easily hidden I think that's why I missed it initially. Until I noticed excess preening in my flock.

Should I dust her again and if so when?

My biggest fear is eggs hatching and having outbreak all over and not being able to contain it. She had quite the outbreak or nest of eggs in her back area around and below her vent. In the fluffy feathers. It was easily hidden I think that's why I missed it initially. Until I noticed excess preening in my flock.

Redust your birds again in 7-10 days. The second dusting will kill lice that hatch missed by the first dusting.

Back
Top Bottom