Prevailing winds and optimum orientation of coop?

RandyStine

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
NE Oklahoma
How should I orient my coop to optimize ventilation with wind predominantly from the south?
Blowing rain will likely come from south, west, or north. Rarely, if ever, from the east.
Winters aren't severe for long periods, but can get to sub-zero F with brutal north winds. Summers can be long and hot and humid and dry.
I'll have a 4'x8' raised coop with a lean-to roof and corrugated tin roofing. High side will be 6' and the low side 5'. The eaves all around are open for ventilation (hardware cloth for protection). That'll give me approximately 10 sf of ventilation for 6 birds. There will be overhang to protect from rain.
I live in NE Oklahoma. The coop and run will be well shaded in the summer afternoons (large oaks to the south, west, and north).
So, high side to the south to catch all the wind I can in the heat of the summer?
Or, high side to the east to minimize any blown in rain or snow during the worst of our storms?
Or am I overthinking it all as a procrastination tactic?
Thanks

That’s a great idea to try to orient the coop to maximize its efficiency in prevailing weather conditions. But you know what? I bet it will work out just fine no matter which way you face it.

With ventilation all around, I wouldn’t worry about “catching” the breezes. And, with a nice overhang, I wouldn’t worry about rain blowing in.

In the beginning with my coops, I tried to optimize the direction I faced them. Somehow I ended up with the wide open door facing into the wind. It was fine, even in the rain. And then there is the one with the south facing door to let warm sunlight inside in the winter. But yeah, it also lets in the blasting hot sun in the summer. But it’s still ok.

The one thing I would watch out for is if you have any hanging feeders, you want to make sure the rain doesn’t get blown on them, because the feed will swell up and plug up the bottom part. Then it’s a pain to scrape that out so dry feed can flow through again. (Some of my hanging feeders are in covered runs, but too close to the edge on the windward side.)

You know which way I would face your coop? 1) The way it looks aesthetically pleasing to you, and 2) The way that makes doing your chores most efficient.

Do we get to see pictures?

I found my north door to be a pain in winter. I have to.cross what I call the great northern ice sheet to tend the birds.
There weren't any options for mine but if I could have a south facing door that ice wouldn't have been a problem.

Will your run have a roof? That may make a difference.

That’s a great idea to try to orient the coop to maximize its efficiency in prevailing weather conditions. But you know what? I bet it will work out just fine no matter which way you face it.

With ventilation all around, I wouldn’t worry about “catching” the breezes. And, with a nice overhang, I wouldn’t worry about rain blowing in.

In the beginning with my coops, I tried to optimize the direction I faced them. Somehow I ended up with the wide open door facing into the wind. It was fine, even in the rain. And then there is the one with the south facing door to let warm sunlight inside in the winter. But yeah, it also lets in the blasting hot sun in the summer. But it’s still ok.

The one thing I would watch out for is if you have any hanging feeders, you want to make sure the rain doesn’t get blown on them, because the feed will swell up and plug up the bottom part. Then it’s a pain to scrape that out so dry feed can flow through again. (Some of my hanging feeders are in covered runs, but too close to the edge on the windward side.)

You know which way I would face your coop? 1) The way it looks aesthetically pleasing to you, and 2) The way that makes doing your chores most efficient.

Do we get to see pictures?
Thanks for the feedback. I promise pictures when it's complete. I hadn't considered the aesthetics, but that's important. And being able to see it well from the house. Those factors may be more important than the wind.

I found my north door to be a pain in winter. I have to.cross what I call the great northern ice sheet to tend the birds.
There weren't any options for mine but if I could have a south facing door that ice wouldn't have been a problem.

Will your run have a roof? That may make a difference.
I'll be covering it with chicken wire or something to protect from hawks. I may stretch a tarp over a corner to provide some rain protection, but I'm not planning on a solid roof. The run itself will be about 625 sq. feet just because I can. City ordinances won't allow more than 6 birds, but I want room to add more if they change their mind (or don't pay attention).
Edited from 25 sq. ft to 625 sq. ft.

Last edited:
I'll be covering it with chicken wire or something to protect from hawks. I may stretch a tarp over a corner to provide some rain protection, but I'm not planning on a solid roof. The run itself will be about 25 sq. feet just because I can. City ordinances won't allow more than 6 birds, but I want room to add more if they change their mind (or don't pay attention).

I am hoping that 25 was a typo. It is recommended that 6 birds need a minimum of 60 sq feet in the run.

I've seen some great info from @3KillerBs on utilizing microclimate. Hopefully she might have something to add.

I don't think I can do much with microclimate where I am because it's flat ground completely sheltered by old trees. But if you have hills that seems to be something to especially take into account. If you get snow, the side it piles up on can matter.

I have a friend in Oklahoma who's frequently posting about tornadoes... you may want to use hurricane ties or some other solution to give the coop and birds a fighting chance. Or dig it into a hillside!

Last edited:
Oh, and if I lived anywhere with snow or single digit temps, I would 100% go with a Woods Fresh Air coop design. Worth looking at for sure!

Back
Top Bottom