Prevent Quail Drowning?

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
I had 4 quail in my brooder, and the youngest was really small and frail. He might've had something wrong with him because he kept running into walls, and I had to keep leading him back to the heat source. I'm not sure what was wrong with him, but he drowned in the 1cm deep water dispenser last night at about 32 hours old (estimate). I tried, but I couldn't do anything to help him at night.

How could I stop this from happening to the others, and does this need prevention?

(A photo of him when he hatched, the only photo I have of him)

Yea it sounds like there was something wrong with him running into walls and drowning in 1cm of water is not normal. If the other chicks are acting normal I would not worry about it too much 1cm deep is fine for quail chicks. What kind of quail are they?

Yea it sounds like there was something wrong with him running into walls and drowning in 1cm of water is not normal. If the other chicks are acting normal I would not worry about it too much 1cm deep is fine for quail chicks. What kind of quail are they?
They are Courtnix Quail. I'm starting to think he might've been blind, because he seemed to rely on sound to get places. He would follow the chirps of his friends and only ate when others were eating, and in the same spot. The others are acting normal though, but I'm still worried about the others.

They are Courtnix Quail. I'm starting to think he might've been blind, because he seemed to rely on sound to get places. He would follow the chirps of his friends and only ate when others were eating, and in the same spot. The others are acting normal though, but I'm still worried about the others.
I have read that some of the heat lamps with light emit red waves that can cause blindness in quail. So I use ceramic reptile heat lamps that do not emit light. This also helps the quail develop a normal sleep wake cycle very early on. By the time my quail are in the brooder for 24-36 hours, they are quiet at night (save the occasional screamer!). 😂

I have read that some of the heat lamps with light emit red waves that can cause blindness in quail. So I use ceramic reptile heat lamps that do not emit light. This also helps the quail develop a normal sleep wake cycle very early on. By the time my quail are in the brooder for 24-36 hours, they are quiet at night (save the occasional screamer!). 😂
I don't use heat lamps, I have a mini incubator emitting heat with the lid partly off so they can get on and out. I'm looking for a replacement, though.

@QuailQueen3 , I'm curious where you read infrared light causes blindness? Sounds like an 'old wives' tale to me. I've used infrared heat sources for over 50 years and have never had a blind chick or a blind adult bird because of the use.

@QuailQueen3 , I'm curious where you read infrared light causes blindness? Sounds like an 'old wives' tale to me. I've used infrared heat sources for over 50 years and have never had a blind chick or a blind adult bird because of the use.
Hi @007Sean I read the fabulous article on BYC! 😂 The red light waves and ANY continuous light cause Light Induced Avian Glaucoma among many other problems. It is a very well-written article with citations to research papers.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...healthier-options-to-heat-your-brooder.72482/

Back
Top Bottom