Preventing aggressive behaviour in cockerels/ roos

Pics
Article states pretty plainly that a cockerel should not crow in the presence of a higher-ranking rooster.
Hi. :frow

I'm only on page 2 so sorry if someone has said this.. :oops:

That there is some TOTAL falseness... and ONE of the things I don't agree with about the article from Bee. :old

I agree that it can be a good guide line. I tried it with my misbehaving cockerel and it did NOT work for ME. I do think it is a good tool to help tune people into reality but beyond that... EVERYTHING you read or hear should be processed through with some more fact checking, verifying, and UNDERSTANDING. :pop

Listen, I keep a stag pen... with full grown roosters and cockerels from still peeping to very randy... They ALL crow whenever they feel like it. Once in a while another boy standing next to them will do something in attempt to make them stop. They one crowing simply jumps aside and continues his crow. So they might choose to crow from a slightly farther distance but that's it. NO! The head rooster doesn't have to be the first one to crow every day.

And NO, you aren't the head rooster. You should NOT be seen as part of the pecking order. You are the giant who brings food... not the next chicken to show a sign of weakness and be taken down a notch in the flock by another seeking to raise their own position. You are the keeper and the care taker. You are not a threat and nor are you competition. How is the rooster supposed to understand that of the human doesn't? :confused:

Now I treat all boys the same... same as pullets until separated and then like pets who can respect my space. ANYONE "friendly" (people's misunderstanding of confident) who tries to cozy up is denied. I toss treat... and make sure they know their feed comes from me, ie: they see me bring it, I don't just open the door and it's there. All are treated the same... Some are Stew Piddaso's and others are not... in any of my breeds, including... Speckled Sussex, Swedish Flowers, and Silkies. I will catch up, cuz I wanna see all the tips!

Please note... a rooster crowing next to you is not the same as a rooster crowing at you. Which does happen. :smack I don't block ANY of my boys from feed. I allow them to feed and they know it... doesn't mean they are disrespecting me or my space. Please use what you can, but don't treat any article you read or anything you hear as the end all truth to the subject. ;)

I do not care if they mate or crow in my presence. That is what they do. They will not block my path. I keep on a straight path to do what I need to do and they have to move. Running up to me when they have learned that items in my hand at a certain time in the morning means food. Items in my hand in the afternoon means a treat. I walk to where feed and treats go and they follow me there then eat. I do not see that as a threat as they are excited for food. They understand in their own way that mommy=food. Pitchfork in hand means dlm turning and new bugs to get. The only problem with that is Ms Buffy likes to ride the prongs on the upswing (lol). Roosters crow. I actually like to hear it. Even without seeing who it is , I know which one is crowing as I observed them and learned the different tones. My little Precious crowed once in my presence and she is a female. But she always comes running up chattering to me. Not aggressive, just she is a “talker”. Maybe our more aggressive girls should not be allowed to do the egg song in our presence?

7D5BFAD1-47BB-4AB7-BE08-1A2A436F1795.jpeg
That gave me a good giggle!
Let one of us try to dig and she rides in the shovel throwing dirt off to get the worms first!! This is a picture of her with Mr Spot.

That there is some TOTAL falseness... and ONE of the things I don't agree with about the article from Bee. :old

I agree that it can be a good guide line. I tried it with my misbehaving cockerel and it did NOT work for ME. I do think it is a good tool to help tune people into reality but beyond that... EVERYTHING you read or hear should be processed through with some more fact checking, verifying, and UNDERSTANDING. :pop

Listen, I keep a stag pen... with full grown roosters and cockerels from still peeping to very randy... They ALL crow whenever they feel like it. Once in a while another boy standing next to them will do something in attempt to make them stop. They one crowing simply jumps aside and continues his crow. So they might choose to crow from a slightly farther distance but that's it. NO! The head rooster doesn't have to be the first one to crow every day.

And NO, you aren't the head rooster. You should NOT be seen as part of the pecking order. You are the giant who brings food... not the next chicken to show a sign of weakness and be taken down a notch in the flock by another seeking to raise their own position. You are the keeper and the care taker. You are not a threat and nor are you competition. How is the rooster supposed to understand that of the human doesn't? :confused:

Now I treat all boys the same... same as pullets until separated and then like pets who can respect my space. ANYONE "friendly" (people's misunderstanding of confident) who tries to cozy up is denied. I toss treat... and make sure they know their feed comes from me, ie: they see me bring it, I don't just open the door and it's there. All are treated the same... Some are Stew Piddaso's and others are not... in any of my breeds, including... Speckled Sussex, Swedish Flowers, and Silkies. I will catch up, cuz I wanna see all the tips!

Please note... a rooster crowing next to you is not the same as a rooster crowing at you. Which does happen. :smack I don't block ANY of my boys from feed. I allow them to feed and they know it... doesn't mean they are disrespecting me or my space. Please use what you can, but don't treat any article you read or anything you hear as the end all truth to the subject. ;)
:goodpost:

Let me address a couple of points in your post. First, because it didn't work on ONE misbehaving rooster of yours, doesn't mean it's a bad method. That's one animal. Like every other method, it will work for some, not for others.

I have read Bee's article several times. I don't recall her ever saying that the person is to become the "head rooster". Just to act in a way that the rooster understands dominance.

I don't care if they crow or mate in my presence, either. To me, that's not a big deal. As long as they recognize that I am the Bringer of Good Things and stay out of my space, that's all I care about. For me, a good rooster is one who moves off when I come around and doesn't try to sneak up on me. From the time they're little, I walk through them, meet them with confidence, and yes - sometimes move them away from the feeder just because I can, and I want to remind them that I am the boss. I don't prevent them from eating in front of me, or keep them away from it for long. I just move them away and let them back on my terms.

You are right that no article is the "end all truth" to any discussion, but this one, I believe, can give people with aggressive cockerels/roosters some tools to work with in trying to regain some control.

When my friend and I were having babies, her Dr. told her, "You will get lots and lots of advice on how to raise your kids. Smile and say thank you, then take what works for you and ignore the rest." Raising chickens is the same way. We all have to figure out what works for us.

no article is the "end all truth" to any discussion, but this one, I believe, can give people with aggressive cockerels/roosters some tools to work with
Believe I said it could be a good tool/guideline so as far as I can tell we are in agreement. :)
Let me address a couple of points in your post. First, because it didn't work on ONE misbehaving rooster of yours,
I made sure to stress that it was ME that it didn't work for... but said process everything through... meaning take what works or makes sense to YOU and use it... sorry I didn't make full disclosure or spell out it out. :confused:
I agree that it can be a good guide line. I tried it with my misbehaving cockerel and it did NOT work for ME. I do think it is a good tool to help tune people into reality but beyond that... EVERYTHING you read or hear should be processed through with some more fact checking, verifying, and UNDERSTANDING.
I have read Bee's article several times. I don't recall her ever saying that the person is to become the "head rooster".
The OP stated she was the dominant rooster and mentioned the article. I used the word head but meant the same thing.
Article states pretty plainly that a cockerel should not crow in the presence of a higher-ranking rooster.
Dominant roo would be me lol.

Smile and say thank you, then take what works for you and ignore the rest." Raising chickens is the same way. We all have to figure out what works for us.
Yes, this is true for all things in life... One policy or practice does not work for a whole population.. in many instances. :thumbsup

Sorry if you thought I meant the whole article was crud. Not at all my intention and don't THINK I came across that way... but I DO completely disagree that only the highest male in the coop/pen will crow. :cool:

And I am minding my own business about the bleeding husband and "choosing the rooster" that is clearly off balance. Different strokes for different folks. :hmm

You should NOT be seen as part of the pecking order. You are the giant who brings food..

And yet, the overwhelming number of threads on this forum and others asking what to do with a rooster that just attacked me/my husband/my wife/my kids/my dog etc shows that it is not quite that simple.

I've already explained that I do not literally become a rooster and do rooster things, but rather I guide the flock and enforce respectful behavior much like a dominant roo would. It's not complicated. The chickens seem to get it.

I'm continuing to receive unkind messages (privately) about my rooster post in this discussion. Here's what I just shared with someone:

My comment about my husband was facetious. He and I are very light hearted in our humor, and sometimes in this marriage it helps keep us going. He read my post when I was editing it and said I should mention his vertigo and how if he passes out in the chicken run, the chickens won't leave anything left. Then he said, "Honey, you may want to up the insurance policy."

The chickens have brought a lot of grace and love and humor into our marriage.

And yet, the overwhelming number of threads on this forum and others asking what to do with a rooster that just attacked me/my husband/my wife/my kids/my dog etc shows that it is not quite that simple.

I've already explained that I do not literally become a rooster and do rooster things, but rather I guide the flock and enforce respectful behavior much like a dominant roo would. It's not complicated. The chickens seem to get it.
Now I'm seeing you perched on a roost with a huge comb and wattle.

We need our humor in these rooster discussions. :p

Back
Top Bottom