Preventing birds from perching and pooping on top of 5 gallon feeder/waterer

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
For those of you who feed and water with 5 gallon buckets, Do you use anything on top to prevent them from pooping on the lids? I hate having to try to open the lids to access clean food and water with poo all over them. I've tried a few things (cardboard taped on- they ate the tape) another lid slightly fastened- they knock them off. I've considered funnels or a traffic cone but before I buy anything else I thought I would see what ya'll do.

Should be simple enough to buy a 10' roll of light gauge roof flashing and make a cone using a couple of screws. Or some heavy gauge non corrugated cardboard to form a cone then get some newspaper or junk mail and some flour and water and paper mache that puppy so it is stiff enough to work.

I place a big, 10 inch I think, orange funnel on top, I also use gamma lids, easy screw on and off.

Attachments

• coop24.jpg
    coop24.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 25
I was thinking about coating my lids with STP or Slick 50 or similar. I want them to slide off every time they get on top. For the feeders that are open top i put a gallon can down in the feeder so they can't get in to eat from the inside. A cone shaped object is the only way I have thought of that would work. Anything else just becomes another roost.

For those of you who feed and water with 5 gallon buckets, Do you use anything on top to prevent them from pooping on the lids? I hate having to try to open the lids to access clean food and water with poo all over them. I've tried a few things (cardboard taped on- they ate the tape) another lid slightly fastened- they knock them off. I've considered funnels or a traffic cone but before I buy anything else I thought I would see what ya'll do.
I went to the hardware store and bought a cheap funnel and gorilla taped it to the top....

Back
Top Bottom