Preventing birds from perching and pooping on top of 5 gallon feeder/waterer

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
For those of you who feed and water with 5 gallon buckets, Do you use anything on top to prevent them from pooping on the lids? I hate having to try to open the lids to access clean food and water with poo all over them. I've tried a few things (cardboard taped on- they ate the tape) another lid slightly fastened- they knock them off. I've considered funnels or a traffic cone but before I buy anything else I thought I would see what ya'll do.

Should be simple enough to buy a 10' roll of light gauge roof flashing and make a cone using a couple of screws. Or some heavy gauge non corrugated cardboard to form a cone then get some newspaper or junk mail and some flour and water and paper mache that puppy so it is stiff enough to work.

I was thinking about coating my lids with STP or Slick 50 or similar. I want them to slide off every time they get on top. For the feeders that are open top i put a gallon can down in the feeder so they can't get in to eat from the inside. A cone shaped object is the only way I have thought of that would work. Anything else just becomes another roost.
My feeder is an open top and one crazy chicken figured out that she could fly INSIDE the feeder and have a picnic....I had to take one of those squirrel cones and run the chain through it and cover the top.

I place a big, 10 inch I think, orange funnel on top, I also use gamma lids, easy screw on and off.

Attachments

• coop24.jpg
    coop24.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 25
I was thinking about coating my lids with STP or Slick 50 or similar. I want them to slide off every time they get on top. For the feeders that are open top i put a gallon can down in the feeder so they can't get in to eat from the inside. A cone shaped object is the only way I have thought of that would work. Anything else just becomes another roost.

Back
Top Bottom