Preventing birds from perching and pooping on top of 5 gallon feeder/waterer

I was thinking about coating my lids with STP or Slick 50 or similar. I want them to slide off every time they get on top. For the feeders that are open top i put a gallon can down in the feeder so they can't get in to eat from the inside. A cone shaped object is the only way I have thought of that would work. Anything else just becomes another roost.
My feeder is an open top and one crazy chicken figured out that she could fly INSIDE the feeder and have a picnic....I had to take one of those squirrel cones and run the chain through it and cover the top.

I definitely want to try using a nipple waterer someday. My neighbor uses them and it keeps the water really clean. But first off, I'm super lazy and don't want to put in the work AND secondly, my chickens are living with my ducks and can just drink out of the pond, so I using a nipple waterer would be impractical (but you know what, the idea of dry dirt is pretty appealing.....)
I took a peek at your article and I love your set up! It will be my go-to if I decide to use waterers again

Back
Top Bottom