Preventing Companion Parrots from Contracting Chicken Diseases/Parasites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snakeybird, Sep 3, 2013.

1. snakeybird

snakeybird New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Does anyone have any tips for ensuring (as much as reasonably possible) that indoor companion birds, in this case an African Grey Parrot, don't contract diseases/parasites from a backyard flock?

Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are several people on this thread who are more informed about parrots and other birds, and they may chime in. I would think just practicing good biosecurity measures like you would when visiting another farm with chickens would be good enough. Washing hands, changing clothes, shoes, and feeding utencils would be the main things, along with isolation for sick birds.

1 person likes this.
  3. snakeybird

snakeybird New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the information. I actually am not a chicken keeper, but my folks are as of this spring, and I am returning home from my first cross country visit since they have had their flock. I am primarily concerned about shoes, since every pair I took with me has been in the chicken run, as everything else can be laundered. Any specific shoe cleaning guidelines?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use 10% bleach water or a strong mix of Lysol to clean the shoes. Also let them sit for a week after cleaning, and many of the germs will die off.

5. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Lysol them or bleach solution spray them and let the sit in the sun for several days.

I am a veterinarian who happens to also be a biosecurity expert ;)

6. snakeybird

snakeybird New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you for the excellent advice. I will use the bleach solution as suggested, and leave the shoes out in the sun for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by