Preventing flies from even coming?

BigRedHenny

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
Los Angeles
I don’t have any hens yet, but I am still in the planning and brainstorming stage of learning about keeping backyard chickens.

I have read the old saying that wherever there are chickens, there will be flies.

What attracts flies to the chicken coop and run in the first place? Are flies only attracted to the smell of chicken poop? Or are flies attracted just to the visual sight of a chicken?

Obviously the best solution to prevent flies is to not have any chickens. But what any other effective ways to prevent flies from coming?

I know there are fly attractant traps, but they stink. Also sticky fly tape does not prevent flies, but only traps them. Does planting lavender or mint around the chicken area deter any flies from proceeding?

What about mixing EZ coop refresh into the coop bedding - would this even work at all?

If I clean their habitat every day, is there even any chance a few flies will come?

What size of coop and run would I need, along with how many minimal hens can I keep in order to avoid attracting any flies from coming?

Flies are just a part of keeping livestock of any kind. You could add a few Muscovy hens to your future flock - they are fantastic fly catchers and it's quite amazing watching them stalk and catch them. We have a mini farm and added Muscovy ducks last spring and there was a definite reduction in the number of flies about the place.

Flies thrive in sunlight and moisture. If you build a covered run and keep it very dry, that will be your best solution to keeping flies away. Sweet pdz or similiar will help keep the bedding even drier.

I don’t have any hens yet, but I am still in the planning and brainstorming stage of learning about keeping backyard chickens.

I have read the old saying that wherever there are chickens, there will be flies.

What attracts flies to the chicken coop and run in the first place? Are flies only attracted to the smell of chicken poop? Or are flies attracted just to the visual sight of a chicken?

Obviously the best solution to prevent flies is to not have any chickens. But what any other effective ways to prevent flies from coming?

I know there are fly attractant traps, but they stink. Also sticky fly tape does not prevent flies, but only traps them. Does planting lavender or mint around the chicken area deter any flies from proceeding?

What about mixing EZ coop refresh into the coop bedding - would this even work at all?

If I clean their habitat every day, is there even any chance a few flies will come?

What size of coop and run would I need, along with how many minimal hens can I keep in order to avoid attracting any flies from coming?
:welcome :frow

I've noticed no more flies with chickens than without. Then again, I live in Bug Central Florida.
I agree. I live near Ocala. We don't have issues with flies in the winter but do in the summer months. There are things you can do to control the fly population somewhat. I spray in and around the coops with permethrin. It really helps to cut down on the flies. Good luck...

Eventually you will come across an issue with the birds. You have found a good place for all kinds of information. People are different as well as their situations so what works well for one may not work as well for another. Also the flock size is a factor. I have multiple coops so I have a lot of birds, not a typical back yard flock. My main suggestion is to plan well. Decide how many birds you want which will dictate coop and pen size. Make you coop as large as you can for the number of birds you want. Especially if down the road you decide to increase your flock size. If you free range you will probably loose a bird/birds sooner or later so you have to consider protection for your flock. The predators will discover them eventually. Rarely do they go undiscovered. You can go for a long time with no issues but when you least expect it it usually happens. I love raising my birds. They each have a unique personality. Good luck and have fun...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators

Flies happen every year here in Central Florida once the Rainy season starts. It's part of the annual cycle. The best way we found to deal with it is to put up fly traps as soon as the first flies show up. That was right after Hurricane Elsa this year.

We clean off the poop boards and perches every day, dispose of the poop into composters. We rake out the runs at least once a week, following up with barn lime, raked in to the dirt in the runs. The rakings from the run are tilled into the ground where it makes terrific fertilizer and mulch. We covered the runs with steel roofs, and now the runs stay dry even during tropical storms. Every week more chips and hay are added to the coop floors, and they smell like haylofts, not like pig pens.

I will say that it just takes constant diligence, and not a little time, to keep flies away. As with other problems, you just need to get ahead of things as soon as trouble starts. Both of us are retired, so we have all day to take care of our flocks. If I was still working in my old business, it would be pretty tough, if not downright impossible. Or as any old timer would say: "Farming is simple, but it's not easy".

Last edited:
I also use fly rolls
FlyRoll.jpg
20210623_184717.jpg

Yes! - these are far better than the bags. They don't smell like a dozen dead animals. If you are in the suburbs and have close neighbors, stay away from the bags. You can smell them 100 feet away when they start to fill up. I'm coming to the conclusion that they attract more flies than you originally had in the first place. And people wil blame your flock for the smell!

Back
Top Bottom