1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

preventing frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Picco, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Songster

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have three gorgeous penedesenca cockerels with huge carnation combs. I'd really like to preserve them so they will look great for their first show in the spring. I live in the green mountains on the NY/VT border and the temp drops really low here in the winter. Is there an easy way to prevent frostbitten combs?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I think you can slather them really well with vasoline..when the temps drop. Also, when you know its going to be lower than say 25....put a heat light over the roost...and keep them locked up untill the weather gets above freezing again. Good luck with the spring shows!!

3. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I don't like heat lamps, because of the danger of fire. I use just one (1) 60 watt light per coop 8x12. I have never had a frost bite problem. A couple of times I have found some of the chickens out over night when it snowed. Last year one of my silkies when broody just before a snow strom. Basically she was out in the snow under a bush. When I found her, there were six other hens around her and the roo on top. Only one out of eight the eggs hatched, still pretty good for the conditions. Chickens are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

4. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Songster

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    I've read the same thing that Deb said.

My book says to rub vaseline on the combs and wattles to prevent frost bite.

5. verthandi

verthandi Songster

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    It can go to 30 below here a couple of times a year. Any time it looks like it is going to go below 0, I put vaseline on wattles and combs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  6. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, don't forget to coat the wattles. Birds with large wattles tend to dip them in their waterer while getting a drink and they freeze bad. The vaseline helps protect them..not a cure all, but certainly helps.

Jody

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Songster

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: