preventing frostbite

Picco

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
NY
I have three gorgeous penedesenca cockerels with huge carnation combs. I'd really like to preserve them so they will look great for their first show in the spring. I live in the green mountains on the NY/VT border and the temp drops really low here in the winter. Is there an easy way to prevent frostbitten combs?

I think you can slather them really well with vasoline..when the temps drop. Also, when you know its going to be lower than say 25....put a heat light over the roost...and keep them locked up untill the weather gets above freezing again. Good luck with the spring shows!!

I don't like heat lamps, because of the danger of fire. I use just one (1) 60 watt light per coop 8x12. I have never had a frost bite problem. A couple of times I have found some of the chickens out over night when it snowed. Last year one of my silkies when broody just before a snow strom. Basically she was out in the snow under a bush. When I found her, there were six other hens around her and the roo on top. Only one out of eight the eggs hatched, still pretty good for the conditions. Chickens are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

It can go to 30 below here a couple of times a year. Any time it looks like it is going to go below 0, I put vaseline on wattles and combs.

Last edited:
Yes, don't forget to coat the wattles. Birds with large wattles tend to dip them in their waterer while getting a drink and they freeze bad. The vaseline helps protect them..not a cure all, but certainly helps.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom