Preventing future hawk attacks

Fluffy family

Chirping
May 30, 2022
Northeast Wisconsin
Hello everyone I just had my first animal die because of a predator that we suspect is a hawk. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas of preventing this in the future?

The chickens (12 week old pullets) are being raised in a chicken wire fence with a very dense decorative tree covering part of it. They also have a coop that is raised a foot or two off the ground that they can go underneath whenever they please. This still leaves some sections with open sky that a hawk could fly through

My uncle also has chickens and suggested string stretched over the open areas to prevent arial predators. has any body else had good results from this?

I just really don’t want to loose another one because she was one of my favorites, and now that the hawk has had a taste I’m worried it’ll come back

Hello everyone I just had my first animal die because of a predator that we suspect is a hawk. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas of preventing this in the future?

The chickens (12 week old pullets) are being raised in a chicken wire fence with a very dense decorative tree covering part of it. They also have a coop that is raised a foot or two off the ground that they can go underneath whenever they please. This still leaves some sections with open sky that a hawk could fly through

My uncle also has chickens and suggested string stretched over the open areas to prevent arial predators. has any body else had good results from this?

I just really don’t want to loose another one because she was one of my favorites, and now that the hawk has had a taste I’m worried it’ll come back
All you can do is lock them up and hopefully it'll move on in a week or two. Your chicks don't have a momma hen and have to learn on their own. You can expect losses if you don't keep them inside a predator proof run when predators are after them at least until the predator moves on. I suggest keeping a rooster in your flock to give alerts .My chickens have 2 ! Sorry for your loss!

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

There is no way to prevent a hawk attack and once it was successful with your flock, it will try again over and over as they are very patient and intelligent birds that will spend hours just watching and waiting for the right moment.

They even climb fences like parrots, trying to find the right mesh size to slip through.

The only way to prevent a successful attack would be to cover the whole run area with netting.
A tree will work in their favour and some strings won't help to deterr them as they are very agile birds equipped to hunt in the undergrowth, easily slipping and flying through every small opening they can fit and adapt their bodies to.

This is how I secure my younger ones

20210726_123924.jpg

Try netting we got some at TSC fairly cheap & it has worked so far. Mine free range but run into pen if they feel threatened good luck!

Attachments

• 20230204_073842.jpg
    20230204_073842.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
But,
A: it's hawk season. Migrating hawks are looking for some fast food for their journey. Most dangerous times are breakfast, lunch, dinner. Not kidding.
B: Hawks are looking for small on the go easy chicken nuggets. Don't let them out of your sight unless they are secure in their run.
C: If you have an attack, keep them locked up for at least a week. It will come back for more.

If you zoom in over the chicken yard you can see my string setup.

Attachments

• 20230827_160042.jpg
    20230827_160042.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Well here’s what we do. We string fishing line above in a spiderweb style. Here’s a hawk that comes all the time trying to figure out how to get in. We have done this for many years and we only have restrung one time

Attachments

• IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom