Our little rooster Peter came down with a respiratory infection. He appears to be recovering (knock on wood!) but we'd like to do everything we can to prevent our hens from catching whatever it was that he caught. Here's what we're already doing:
- Brought Peter inside and will keep him at home until after his symptoms are gone. He is getting antibiotics and lots of nutritious treats.
- Washing hands and changing or covering clothes that came in contact with Peter before going out to the coop to visit the rest of the flock
- Feeding the hens garlic, ginger and parsley. I know garlic can affect the taste of the eggs but that's all right for now, if it helps keep them healthy. I am microplaning the garlic and ginger and mincing the parsley, and adding it all to their bedtime mash.
- Added a sliced clove of garlic to their drinking water this morning
- Watching hens for signs of infection; will isolated affected hens if they show symptoms