Prevention / Cures for Tapeworm or any worms really

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but thought I would try! I'm in Jacksonville, and can't shake the tapeworms! I've treated twice with zemectrin gold, and I'm still seeing the white scales in the poop. Before the first treatment, I saw actual moving pieces of worm, and now just the scales, so is that an improvement? I know in FL I'll probably always have some worms, just trying to decide if this is good enough. All girls are laying and combs looks good, but a couple of them seem a little underweight. I don't want to keep worming every other month, but don't want them malnourished either. Thanks for any input!

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but thought I would try! I'm in Jacksonville, and can't shake the tapeworms! I've treated twice with zemectrin gold, and I'm still seeing the white scales in the poop. Before the first treatment, I saw actual moving pieces of worm, and now just the scales, so is that an improvement? I know in FL I'll probably always have some worms, just trying to decide if this is good enough. All girls are laying and combs looks good, but a couple of them seem a little underweight. I don't want to keep worming every other month, but don't want them malnourished either. Thanks for any input!

Can you post a pic or two of the "white scales" in their poop?

I can't seem to locate my camera, but I will keep looking! They are white, paper thin, look like scales. I know they had tapes before, b/c they had the moving segments of worms. (so nasty) I thought , looking at pics, that the scales were one of the signs of tapes too. I'll try to get a pic....

Here's a pic of tapeworm segments in feces, I'm sure you recognize them:

I've never seen "scales" unless you're referring to excreted pieces of the actual tapeworm. They can be stringy like jellyfish tentacles, flat and segmented in whole or in broken sections/pieces. They can be curly Q as well. I've dealt with tapeworms quite abit, but I dont recall seeing scales in feces.

Okay, here are some pics of the poo! Hopefully these are close enough that you can see what I'm talking about. Is that tapeworms? I was calling them scales b/c they looked so much thinner than the segments that I saw before, but obviously that is not the real term for what I'm seeing. Thanks!

You're good to go. That is dander/feather sheath from around the rear end that attached to the feces when it was excreted. I've seen that occur with my birds as well...nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! That is such a relief. Takes a nice person to look at a strangers chicken poop for them.
big_smile.png
I'll try to stop over analyzing the poop now........

Thank you so much! That is such a relief. Takes a nice person to look at a strangers chicken poop for them.
big_smile.png
I'll try to stop over analyzing the poop now........

Our soil here in our area has been wet most of the year, and with warming temps, the soil will be worm soup soon enough. It's best to keep a couple of good wormers on hand in our weather for sure.

Back
Top Bottom