1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prevention Help....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MeaganDuf, Jan 14, 2015.

1. MeaganDuf

MeaganDuf New Egg

May 17, 2012
    My Millie was egg bound almost two weeks ago. We cleared up that problem and she has been healing in my apartment (as I live away from my husband due to work). She has a nice little set up and seemed to be doing much better over the course of last week and early this week. But yesterday I noticed that she was sounding hoarse when she was greeting me and was preening much more than usual. Her feathers seem dry as well, not as soft. As of late she has been lifting her head and stretching her neck out and then opening her mouth and closing it with her head/neck in this position. I think that she has a parasite infection of some kind, more than likely gapeworms but I cannot be so certain. I need to get a fecal done but I will not be home until this weekend and my vet is an avian vet who can look at her. Has anyone else been experiencing these problems? She has been holding her weight and seems to be eating just fine. Her mutes are normal for the most part. This mornings first mute was her usual, but her next two were more watery and more stinky than usual. Any help on what could be the problem is much appreciated and any treatment that I could buy from the local farm store. Maybe buy her some meds to place into her water until our vet visit? Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check her crop to see that it is emptying by morning. It should be mostly flat. She could be adjusting her crop. Get Valbazen to deform her, and give her 1/2 ml orally, then repeat it in 10 days. That will treat any worms in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by