BDutch

natural
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
I have chickens for 6.5 years now and have been thinking: “How come I didn’t have any worm infestations, scale leg mites, feather mites or other parasite problems. “

The only things I can think of are: The healthy and lively soil in the run, the coop floor with sand mixed with a little diatomaceous earth (DE). And mixing a little DE in their dust bath.

Is it possible that the DE kills the baby parasites if they climb out of the eggs and land in a dry and sandy surrounding with DE?
Or is it that the chickens are so healthy the parasites don’t sicken the chickens bc of the free ranging and healthy soil in the run ?
Or was I just lucky having only one minor bird mite infestation in all these years (before using DE).
Hi

I have chickens for 6.5 years now and have been thinking: “How come I didn’t have any worm infestations, scale leg mites, feather mites or other parasite problems. “

The only things I can think of are: The healthy and lively soil in the run, the coop floor with sand mixed with a little diatomaceous earth (DE). And mixing a little DE in their dust bath.

Is it possible that the DE kills the baby parasites if they climb out of the eggs and land in a dry and sandy surrounding with DE?
Or is it that the chickens are so healthy the parasites don’t sicken the chickens bc of the free ranging and healthy soil in the run ?
Or was I just lucky having only one minor bird mite infestation in all these years (before using DE).
Hi
I don't use DE and I've never had a mites or lice issue.

Back
Top Bottom