Previous layers new to me are not laying!

Jendin13

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
Three weeks ago I got 2 hens from a friend that are around 2 yrs old. They had been laying regularly and then stopped when I got them, which I expected with the stress of the move. I got one egg 2 weeks ago but nothing since. Any advice??

Chicken canoe-
Good point! This is my first year raising chickens so I haven't gone through that yet. How long does it last? (Molting)

welcome-byc.gif
x2 on ChickenCanoe's advice.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

It is relatively common for recently moved hens to stop laying due to stress. If that is the case, they will probably begin laying regularly in a few weeks.

Another possibility is that they are molting. Molting birds lose lots of feathers and do not lay. Young pullets usually molt for the first time when they are 8-10 months of age, and they molt once a year after that. Some molt in spring, but most molt at this time of year. If they are molting, you should start getting eggs in 1-3 months.

One other possible cause is that they are being stressed out by other factors, such as disease or predation. Is it possible that predators are passing by the coop at night, especially where the birds can see them? I would also check your hens for mites and lice, and make sure they have no other symptoms--nasal discharge, abnormal breathing, swelling, etc. Disease and the fear of being attacked can cause birds to halt egg production.

Good luck with them!

Thank you! That is very helpful. My coop is very secure but who knows what's passing by at night up here in the woods. I have 5 pullets that are 5 months old but I thought these older girls would be laying by now. I haven't noticed them losing feathers. I guess I will have to just wait and see.
Thank you so much.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, as stated above, moving chickens is very stressful on them and they can stop laying for weeks or even a month. So keep all the stressors inside and outside the coop down as much as possible.

Sometimes the stress of moving can trigger molting which can take 2 to 4 months. Disease, mites and worms can also stop them from laying.

I would imagine they will start laying soon. Just give them time.

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You've received some good advice from the other members so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hens laying again.

Back
Top Bottom