Previously lowest on the pecking order is utterly ACCOSTING newly introduced chicks

229Mick

Chirping
9 Years
May 29, 2011
Need some input! I've got six new six week old chicks (now 7 weeks) that I introduced to my flock of 8 older chickens (between 2-3 Yrs old) last week. Done this several times in the past, and these behaved similarly, stayed to themselves, got harassed away from the feeder when the others want to eat, last to go into the coop at night...
But this time, the one that WAS the lowest in the pecking order ('Mrs. Featherbottom'), who seems a bit 'disturbed' anyway, actually goes after them. Looks for them during the day, chases the down and pecks them. Waits on the 'deck' of the coop outside the door and chases them away at night and then stays on the floor inside rather than roosting, so the little ones won't come in.
The other chickens typically go roost and will let the little ones in (like they don't want the competition but they 'get it', they know how it all works) and the one day that I really let it go till just before the (light activated) door would close on its own, one of them even came out grabbed Featherbottom by the neck and dragged her in so the babies could come up the ramp and go in. Most days though I've had to go out, encourage her to go roost then lead the babies in.
At this point the babies are all actually walking over to the coop at the right time, and even finding their way up the ramp to the door, but ALWAYS being repelled by Featherbottom (unless I deal with her first).
I don't recall it begin this difficult with other introductions in the past, or the lowest on the pecking order being THIS aggressive to the new chicks (let them know their place, but not likely to harm them or bar them from the coop) and as I said, I think Featherbottom may be a little messed up anyway.
Last year when she was broody I gave her a couple of chicks (as I'd done with others in the past) and she killed both of them! Don't know how, but put them in the nest with her and the next day they were dead.
So I'm wondering what the likelihood of her being nuts vs just settling down, or even of learning (by me teaching her!) that she needs to let them in and stop harassing them so much? Is it likely or possible she IS just 'disturbed' and needs to go? I don't know 'abnormal chicken psychiatry', so I don't know where we're going from here!
Again in the past, they've been aggressive if the babies went in before the grownups were settled and in their places, but otherwise, didn't really care and certainly never waited and brooded (in the figurative sense) at the door or on the landing to repel them, as Featherbottom is.
So I guess my question is, am I just remembering the past integrations poorly (or with rose colored glasses) or is this chicken crazy and a danger to the little ones? Is giving her a 'stern shooing' to convince her to knock it off and go roost (as seemed to work the one night) a good idea, or a waste of time, or even detrimental?
Again, it seems the babies have pretty much figured out how to get in and be safe at night at this point, so I don't want to loose 4 babies to a fox because one unbalanced 3 year old isn't letting them in.
By the same token, I'm home each night for the foreseeable future (~!~) so I can go out and deal with her and them each night if it's something that IS likely to pass given a few more nights...?
Any input or suggestions are much appreciated!

x2 to the above. If you have issues during integration it's often the low bird in the rankings that's the most brutal, possibly because they see the newcomers as a threat to their position in the flock and don't want to slip down further.

If the main issue is her not letting them into the coop, is it possible to add a second pop door to the coop? You can skip the auto door on it, just an opening you can manually close should be fine for temporary use. She cannot guard both doors at once.

She might just be happy she finally has some other chickens to pick on, since she is at the bottom of the pecking order.
That's what I've seen in the past, she's just a lot more brutal than I recall the others being, and refusing to go to roost or let them in at ANY point, is different.
Tonight I went out early and found her trying to chase the babies from the feeder (looks like none of them really get the access they want to the feeder when all the others are still out) so I let her eat for a bit then shooed her in and eventually she roosted, I shooed the babies and they all went right in.
I guess I'll try that again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks!

She cannot guard both doors at once.
Problem is she doesn't just not let them in, but chases them out. If she's not roosting by the time they get there she absolutely brutalizes them till they run out. Primarily just want to make sure she's not going to kill them or get them killed. As long as this doesn't sound out of the ordinary I'll keep coaxing them to get along!

Thanks

That's what I've seen in the past, she's just a lot more brutal than I recall the others being, and refusing to go to roost or let them in at ANY point, is different.
Tonight I went out early and found her trying to chase the babies from the feeder (looks like none of them really get the access they want to the feeder when all the others are still out) so I let her eat for a bit then shooed her in and eventually she roosted, I shooed the babies and they all went right in.
I guess I'll try that again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Didn’t you say she was also a little wrong in the head? That could also be a factor. I know this isn’t about chickens but I had a cat who was disturbed. She was very nice to people she knew but when any strangers came she would jump on their head and have a fit. It went away as she got older and by the time she was about 13 she didn’t do it anymore. That doesn’t mean she didn’t go and attack everyone and everything in her path once in a while but still.
Yeah but short story shorter if she is disturbed and the lowest on the pecking order sometimes you just have to wait for her to grow out of it. It can be very stressful on a chicken for new chickens to come in, and it seems to me she is trying her best to defend her friends from the dinosaur monsters.

Yea, that was my other question, if her behavior was out of the ordinary.
Certainly killing the chicks I gave her when she was broody seemed to indicate something, but having only done that twice before, I don't know if that's something that just happens occasionally, or if she's mental as they say...
The other indicator is her behavior with these 7 week old's, which just seems more intense or determined than any of the lowest in the past when new chicks were introduced. Of course it's been two years since the last ones introduced, so I just am not 100% sure I recall it correctly.
Also just checked back through my photos and Featherbottom was in the last set I got; I got six in March of 2018, then my nephew gave us 4 that he'd gotten for his kids that Easter, once the kids were bored with them. She was one of the 4, so she's been at the bottom since then.
We only had two adults left by the time we got those. All the others had been taken by a fox that managed to get in. So the last time I really had a 'lowest' interacting with new babies was even before that...
She's also a 'Cochin' as best I can tell, so she's fluffier and has feathers on her feet etc, so she's been different from everybody else the whole while. So she's not just been at the bottom, but been particularly beat up on by EVERYONE else, even mounted with regularity! That'd make me a bit mental I think...
So all that is why I'm trying to determine if she's just behaving how the low chicken behaves (and I just don't recall it clearly form the last time) or if she is likely a danger to the babies. Again, if not, and we just need to train her to let them in (and that's possible) I've got the time to do it in 'quarantine world', but if she's likely to cost me 6 babies, I'd much sooner just cull her...
Thanks again for your input!!

If the biggest problem is when they go to roost, I'd get a squirt bottle and spray her when she goes to stop them from getting on the roost. It will probably take a few nights (or weeks...) But they need to work out the pecking order.

It sounds like normal behavior for the lowest chicken. Once she starts to feel secure that she ranks above the new chicks she'll be a bit less batty.

It sounds like normal behavior for the lowest chicken. Once she starts to feel secure that she ranks above the new chicks she'll be a bit less batty.
That's what I was hoping to hear, and I love the squirt gun idea! Thanks!

So last night I went out around 6pm, which is when I usually see the babies and Featherbottom trying to get some food, and put down some food for the babies, and left Featherbottom at the feeder. Shooed away anybody who came to harass them.
At 7:40 (well before they'd usually be settled down enough even to start shooing the babies in) I went out and found EVERYONE in the coop. Babies were all bundled up in the corner, and all the grownups were on the roosts.
I'll try it again tonight and see if a full belly helps them all get along better!

Back
Top Bottom