Prices for Chickens...

My thought is to sell my "extras" ON-THE-HOOF so to speak.

In that way, I avoid any "hassles" with Health Dept., FDA, etc. AND limit my investment of Time/effort in Processing.

Let the purchaser do as they wish with their purchase.

(I suspect a lot depends upon your locality and the nature of your prospective customer.)

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Last edited:
NOTE:

As per my above posting.........(re: not fooling with Health Dept, FDA, etc.)

I have found that the LESS I have to deal with ANY ORGANIZATION (particularly a Gub-Mint Organization) the Happier and more PLEASANT my LIFE is....

So, I prefer NOT to "clutter it up" with organizational "demands".

(I no longer go to "meetings" and generally avoid such things that require some organization or agent's approval.

It gives me time to enjoy the birds and roses and poetry and MUCH LESS "Fretting" !!!

just one ole-man's way,
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

my brother in law sold about 300 birds this summer at $2.50 a lb birds ranged from 4- 8 lbs so $10-20 a bird he processed them he figures his cost per bird about 6 dollars so he made about $1200 not to bad id say

In Tennessee I sell at $3.50 per pound. Unless all of your birds weigh the same be careful about selling at a set price. Your Customers will catch on pretty quick (your birds bigger than mine and we paid the same) and either cherry pick your product or end up silent (to you but not to anyone else who will listen) and unhappy. Good luck with it and have fun!

I went to a large Farmer's Market in a large city this weekend. Whole Cornishes(frozen) were selling for $3.50/pound. Boneless skinless breast were $4.75/pound and leg quarters for $3.00/pound.

I just paid $50 for a free range goose... someone slaughtered it for me. 10lbs....

For a good quality bird I would pay... you just need to really market them like 'specialty' raised.
smile.png

The growers group I am a part of was selling there birds that were gov inspected, grass fed, no meds, for over 8$/kg. As a group I think we sold 2000+ birds.

Grant

Back
Top Bottom