Pricing

I put up some ads on Craigslist as well but we didn't get any business from it. Most of our customers are word-of-mouth and people who have seen us at locavore events hosted by other groups. We try to attend as many of those events as we can.

Thanks.

I like the idea of working with a CSA. We have tons of them here.

Has anyone tried selling to the organic or whole food stores? I know a lot of these chains support locally grown producers.

I currently raise CX's due to the quick turn around and size. But the other day I got Meyers 2012 brochure and saw their fry pan special of heavy breeds @ $.27 a bird for 100 and started thinking of doing some DP's this spring. It would make for a fun project for my 3 boys over summer break.

Try your WAPF chapter, to see if there are interested folks for your DP birds. That's Weston A. Price Foundation. Most people in our chapter are well aware of the advantages and will pay more for heritage vs. CX.

I price my Dps and CX based on the cost of feed and processing. I started my CXs at $2.35 lb. this year and ended at $2.44 pound to sell here locally. Didn't make much. I'm also a member of Nebraska Food Co-op and actually raise my prices when I sell via the co-op to $3.00 just to be close to the other producers. Most sell at $3.10 lb. or more up to about $4.50 lb. for organic. Keep in mind I sell in Northeast Nebraska and these others sellers are basically selling in the Lincoln and Omaha markets year-round.

For those of you looking to develop markets check the Nebraska Food Co-op. This is done all on-line.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom