"Prince" Feed?

GRAM49

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Indiana
I am considering changing from Purina Sunfresh to Prince feed simply because of price (and the supplier says the results are better with Prince), but I am not sure. Prince has animal protein and I have tried to stay away from that with my girls. Any opinions?
Thanks, Gram

Well, don't know how good it is FOR them, I hope it is good, but we live in a small town and have to take what we get. Our store switched from something else to Prince, and our chickens LOVE it! They seem to like it so much more than the other kind we were getting. I wish I knew what kind that was though.

I do not know that brand, but animal protein is healthier for your chickens. They are OMNIVORES, not vegetarians. Many breeders have a difficult time finding animal protein based feed, and therefore supplement (often with dry cat or dog food) to ensure that their chickens have meat in their diets. Soy, which is the primary protein ingredient of feeds that do not include animal protein reduces fertility--it can be considered a mild form of birth control--not something breeders want or need, and even if you plan to not hatch, gathering eggs daily or not having a rooster in the flock does the same thing.

Not that I ever have to purchase eggs, but every time I'm in the grocery store and see vegetarian eggs or ones that claim that the hens are fed a vegetarian diet, I just about scream.

Quote:
Agree with you totally!!
thumbsup.gif

Well obviously this is an older thread.. I'm a bit late to join in. But I just bought 14 six week old chicks (now 8 weeks). I purchased the Prince Animal Feed for poultry and was told it'll be fine for my chicks... They do love it, but I don't see any directions on the bag. Is this just a general feed no matter the age? I also live in a small town, so the local feed store only had Prince.

Been using Prince feeds for over a year. Raising meet birds. I have had very good results . The birds put on the weight I expected and feed costs were under expected cost.

Back
Top Bottom